NASA commercial spacecraft: SpaceX Dragon V2, Boeing CST-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA commercial spacecraft: SpaceX Dragon V2, Boeing CST-100

It was assumed that this would not happen until after a fully commercial crew had flown to ISS on a Dragon, CST-100 or Dream Chaser, but apparently that has changed.

NASA Astronauts To Fly on Space Taxi Test Flights to Station

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — NASA expects to release a draft solicitation for the next phase of its Commercial Crew Program this summer, but one requirement already has been decided: Bidders need to make at least one test fight to the international space station (ISS) and NASA wants one of its astronauts aboard.

“They may choose to fly un-crewed orbital test flights. They may choose to fly crewed orbital test flights that don’t go to station, but eventually at a minimum they will need to fly at least one test flight to the ISS with a NASA crew member on board,” astronaut Mike Good told reporters at a Kennedy Space Center program status briefing on June 27.

The next round of NASA’s ongoing efforts to nurture a commercial orbital human space transportation system will begin next summer, with the goal of having a U.S. alternative to buying from Russia by 2017. A central feature of the newly named Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) program will be test flights to the space station in 2015 or 2016, program manager Ed Mango said.

Three firms currently are sharing about $1.1 billion in NASA funding to develop space taxis to ferry NASA astronauts and potentially other customers to and from low Earth orbit.

Mango expects to pare that list down by at least one — and possibly two — depending on how much money NASA gets for the program.

The agency has requested $821 million for its Commercial Crew Program for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1. Congress has roughly halved previous program budget requests.

“I’d like to keep three companies because they’re very diverse,” Mango said, noting the program currently supports two different launch vehicles and two different types of spaceships.

The rockets are Space Exploration Technologies’ Falcon 9, which would be paired with the company’s Dragon capsule, and United Launch Alliance’s Atlas 5, which is being modified to handle both Boeing’s CST-100 capsule and Sierra Nevada Corp.’s winged Dream Chaser spacecraft.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The C ontinuing Budget Resolution vote was delayed so Congress could add 'War on IS' funding, and NASA was expected to delay choosing between the SpaceX Dragon V2, Sierra Nevada Corp. Dream Chaser and Boeing CST-100 until then.

Now Charles Lurio (aerospace media) is reporting:

@TheLurioReport

New CCtCap story: Companies will be told results tomorrow morning, public announcements likely to follow shortly after.
    @TheLurioReport

Yet another item: Supposedly someone saw a poster just delivered KSC re CCtCap - included SNC/SpaceX, not Boeing. But I advise caution.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

woot!!

@thelurioreport

@spacekscblog @nasakennedy tho all are 'rumors' the core is from multiple sources.
      @thelurioreport

this just in from another re cctcap: Award tomorrow between 10-11am edt.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

September 16, 2014

MEDIA ADVISORY M14-158

NASA to Make Major Announcement Today About Astronaut Transport to the International Space Station

NASA will make a major announcement today at 4 p.m. EDT regarding the return of human spaceflight launches to the United States. The agency will make the announcement during a news conference from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The event will be broadcast live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

A brief question-and-answer session with reporters on site will take place during the event. Media will be able to ask more detailed questions related to the program in a teleconference shortly afterward.

News conference participants at Kennedy are:

- NASA Administrator Charles Bolden

- Kennedy Space Center Director Bob Cabana

- Commercial Crew Program Manager Kathy Lueders

- Astronaut and former ISS Expedition crew member Mike Fincke

Media should arrive at Kennedy’s Press Site by 3:30 p.m. for transportation to the event. Accreditation for international media is closed for this event. U.S. media must apply for credentials by noon.

Two forms of government-issued identification are required to receive a badge; one form must have a photograph, such as a driver’s license or passport. Badges will be available for pickup at the Press Accreditation Office on State Road 3, Merritt Island, from 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Media badges will be valid for access to Kennedy’s Press Site through Gate 2 on State Road 3 and through Gate 3 on State Road 405, east of the Kennedy Space

Center Visitor Complex. Journalists needing accreditation should apply online at:

To participate in the teleconference with Kathy Lueders at approximately 4:45 p.m. following the announcement on NASA TV, reporters must email their name, media affiliation and telephone number to Rachel Kraft at rachel.h.kraft@nasa.gov or call 202-358-1100 by 3:30 p.m. ET.

The teleconference will be streamed live on NASA’s website at:

For NASA TV downlink information, schedules and links to the 4 p.m. streaming video of the announcement, visit:

NASA TV live: Watch live broadcasts from NASA Television and NASA's social media channels, and a schedule of upcoming live events including news briefings, launches and landings.

For continuous coverage of the announcement and NASA's Commercial Crew Program throughout the development, visit:

For more information about NASA's Commercial Crew Program and CCtCap, visit

NASA's Commercial Crew Program partners with American private industry to deliver astronauts to and from the International Space Station.

-end-

Stephanie Schierholz
        Headquarters, Washington
        202-358-1100
        stephanie.schierholz@nasa.gov
        Stephanie Martin
        Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
        321-867-2468
        stephanie.a.martin@nasa.gov
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

WSJ is reporting that Boeing will be granted the contract. They "offer the least risky option" according to the WSJ sources in the Obama administration.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the aerospace giant is likely to beat out SpaceX for the contract, said to be worth more than $3 billion.

Sounds like Boeings lobbyists pulled off a last minute switcheroo.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

We're hearing SpaceX Dragon V2 and Boeing CST-100.

Boeing may get more money because they have more to do with a more expensive package, especially with $$ Atlas V launcher (which may yet force a change to Falcon 9)

Dragon V2

CST-100

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Boeing: $4.2 billion
              SpaceX: $2.6 billion
              Total: $6.8 billion

Based on company proposals, so SpaceX is just cheaper.

Goal: 2 operational systems, more than just ISS as destinations. Commercial stations, etc.

At least 1 demo mission by 2017 per company, up to 6 each during CCtCap certification program.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 September 2014, 13:59.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

At the Dragon V2 reveal Musk said 2016 for their first orbital flights.

Dragon V2 pad abort test in November 2014, flight abort in January 2015, unmanned orbital test in early 2016 and crewed orbital test later that year.

Launch America program posters,
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Examples of work to be done,

SpaceX: EC/LSS (environmental control & life support systems) integration and testing, risk reduction on landing systems (FireFly vehicle tests in McGregor Texas), avionics and flight interface work, robotic autonomous flight system software & ground tests etc.

Boeing: "The spacecraft will undergo a pad-abort test in 2016, an uncrewed flight in early 2017, leading up to the first crewed flight to the ISS in mid-2017," plus everything SpaceX is doing, though Boring's landing system is air bags and not 8 big damned thrusters. So, with a slip Boeing's first crewed flight could end up in 2018.

And in that time they may be working with Blue Origin on an RD-180 replacement engine for Atlas V.

Yeah, you read that right. Those engine announcements will likely come in the next few days.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

go with two suppliers. It should keep them honest..
                    paulw

Comment

Two rockets + two spacecraft = redundancy. No more grounding of the program because one system has a problem.

And ULA has joined forces with Blue Origin* in a project that could modernize Atlas V into a methane fueled rocket. New engine, possibly a new upper stage etc. More of an Atlas VI but they may keep the old name for marketing reasons.

* Blue Origin is owned by Jeff Bezos of Amazon.com. Very secretive outfit so not much news from them
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Just hope we all live long enough to see this happen. Actually I hope I live long enough to see them go to Mars..
                        paulw

Comment

The timeline is pretty short, SpaceX's first flight within 18-20 months and Boeing's late 2017.

Posting a new thread about the ULA / Blue Origin story.

SpaceX's super-heavy Mars launcher should be flying by the end of the decade.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X