Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help some kids get computers for class...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help some kids get computers for class...

I am responsible for computer hardware at a nursery school. The few computers we have for the kids are constantly in use and we need at least 10 (preferebly more) additional computers so that more kids are able to use the large variety of educational software available. Even the 2-year olds are waiting in line to use them.

The dilema is there is little money. I need to build 10 or more cheap computers with monitor and cdrom. They must be at least pentium class with vga graphics to run the software desired. No modem is needed, but must have sound and speakers and a 1-GB HD.

Anyone care to submit suggestions where I may find parts that are out of date and cheap?

So far, the best I can do is build a computer with monitor for $300-350. I would like to get that down to $250. I would also be happy to be able to purchase used computers instead of parts also.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 25 March 2000).]

You're best bet is an obsolete computer dealer who sells ex-corporate PC's. These will be branded PC's usually Compaq or IBM so you will be able to get support on them in the future. Compaq PC's have a 3 year warranty so if they are within that period you will be able to get them fixed for free!

I know of several in the UK but not in the states but searching on Infoseek should pull up a few. To give you an idea on cost a Compaq Deskpro 5166 P166, 32Mb, 1.2Gb HD goes for around £100-£150 ($159-$239).
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Taz,
      Thanks for the idea.

Anyone else have suggestions? I would also like suggestions on parts suppliers for older (unused) components.

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 26 March 2000).]

Comment

Working...
      X