Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon PSU requirements

Hi all.

I have just ordered an Athlon 700 + motherboard etc...

I needed a new tower case and the one i have ordered comes with a 250w psu.

Will that be sufficient or do i need a higher value psu?

Hardware i have:-
    Athlon 700
    CD-Rewriter
    6xDVD rom
    2xhard drive (1=6gb , 1=16gb)
    g400 max
    sb live
    128 mb 100mhz ram
    network card
    modem

i would be grateful for any advice.

Cross your fingers and pray (and pray and pray and pray and pray) that you do not need a better PS. Geesh, Even if you were getting a P3 or a K63 I would recommend getting a 300watt PS just because of all of the devices you have.
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

I can order a 300w psu if necessary - but obviously i didnt want to unless i need to!

So - r u saying i should definately order 1?

Comment

You have to get a *good* power supply. Some 250 Watt power supplies are better than some 300 Watt power supplies. Antec, PC Power & Cooling, Fortron Source, Sparkle. There are plenty to choose from, but you're taking an awful gamble if you just pick up a generic unit.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

hopefully i should get all the hardware early next week so i shall see what happens!!

how will i actually know if the 250w supply is no good for the system?

currently i have a 200w supply with a celeron 433 + all of the above hardware and everything works perfectly!

Comment

Just try it and see. Ive read somewhere that the Athlon power requirements are due to the AMD750 refrence design, not the CPU.

The KX133 boards run on a 4 layer PCB, the 750 boards have to use a 6 layer board. Also something about the power and earth lines on the 750 was funny.

My flatmate has a K7 600 and Gigabyte mobo, G400, CD-WR, DVD, 2 HDDs, NIC, MX300 sound all on a 250W supply, and its fine. Its also a no-name power supply.

Good luck

Ali

Comment

Just try it and see. Ive read somewhere that the Athlon power requirements are due to the AMD750 refrence design, not the CPU.

The KX133 boards run on a 4 layer PCB, the 750 boards have to use a 6 layer board. Also something about the power and earth lines on the 750 was funny.

My flatmate has a K7 600 and Gigabyte mobo, G400, CD-WR, DVD, 2 HDDs, NIC, MX300 sound all on a 250W supply, and its fine. Its also a no-name power supply.

Good luck

Ali

Comment

I have an Athlon 600/gigabyte 7IX too with a generic 250W ps and it is fine. The 7IX is generally very tolerant with ps requirements. Try to do that with a K7M or a SD-11.

Comment

Good luck

Ali

Comment

Actually, it's more depending on current that your PSU can suply to 3,3V & 5,5V (usually referred as "combined power") than to wattage number of you PSU. There are a couple 235 W (or at least one) Athlon aproved PSUs on AMDs list.
                    J.
                    -J-

Comment

I don't undrstand why you can't find out what PSU is coming. Just wait until it comes and you put it together and it won't start or reboots all the time? So you wait somemore. When I get a new system, I'm worse than a 7 year-old at Xmas! I want it now!

------------------
                      "If your still stock,... ya' best stay on the porch"

"If your still stock,... ya' best stay on the porch"

Comment

OK
                        Everything came
                        Everything assembled
                        Everything working

250W psu - all ok

I dont know what the previous comments were about - i did know what was coming!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X