Mass Effect's "Medi-Gel" goes real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Effect's "Medi-Gel" goes real

A huge advance for emergency medicine, EMT and battlefield use if it pans out. Starting veterinary use this summer, it's also begun the process for FDA approval for use in humans. I would imagine if there are no problems early on the FDA will fast-track it on humanitarian grounds.

NYU student creates Veti-Gel, a possible cure for excess bleeding

A student at New York University has invented what could end up being a cure for excessive bleeding.

Veti-Gel is a new medical product designed to help close up wounds quickly and stop major bleeding.

Joe Landolina, a third-year student at NYU Polytechnic, helped discover the compound and co-founded a business called Suneris Inc. that is built around the idea.

The creation dramatically speeds the body’s natural clotting so that deep wounds, even those to arteries or internal organs, are able to close up within seconds, he said.

“It instantly tells the body, 'OK, stop the bleeding,' but also it starts the healing process," Landolina told TechNewsDaily.

"I have seen (Veti-Gel) close any size wound that it is applied to," said Landolina. "As long as you can cover it, it can close it,” he added.

The substance, a plant-based synthetic form of a compound in blood that triggers clotting, imitates the body's own healing chemistry to rapidly close punctures to soft tissue.

The body then apparently recognizes the synthetic chemicals as if they were natural, which allows the gel to “mesh into the wound surface, immediately forming a tight seal over the wound,” according to the Suneris website.

Veti-Gel then activates the body’s own clotting process.

In tests, Landolina and his colleagues were able to seal deeps cut into rats’ livers and carotid arteries, which gives Landolina hope that the product might eventually be used in surgical settings to reduce severe bleeding.
    WARNING - BLOOD!!

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Nice piece of leg of pork!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

You should see the pork loin I picked up the other day - 5.5+kg and very nice. Thinking of taking half, cutting a pocket and filling it with corn bread stuffing - a favorite dish here.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X