Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek Into Darkness: impressions

Just saw it and

Cumberbatch is GREAT, one evil SOB, the action is almost non-stop, Spock goes Hulk, and there's a potential spoiler every 5 minutes. Lots of references to TOS, earlier Trek movies etc., but often with an alt-timeline twist.

F/X: fantastic!
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Is this the thread for ultra spoilers for the movie? Or are we holding back still for those that have watched it?

J1NG

Comment

Hoping to see it this weekend, but I've already read a bit too much of the plot to not have had some it spoiled for me. But for the sake of others, we might hold off saying too much for a bit. That or create a new spoiler thread/edit the title of this one with a spoiler tag.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

You may think you know too much, but you likely don't. I know there were quite a few moments that flat surprised me.

Damn - trying not to ruin it is tough.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Tribbles to the rescue!
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Saw it this morning and it was AWESOME!!!

Comment

[spoiler]spoiler test[/spoiler]

Dammit - spoiler tags don't work

Crap.

All I'll say is Sulu has the conn & Bone's comment after his transmission.

The theater exploded
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Great fun.
                Many nods to prior iterations.
                Very encouraging final dialog.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

I felt pleased and surprised at the same time. It wasn't the movie I was expecting from the trailers, and that was a good thing. I thought it would be a LOT darker, the kind that makes you feel genuinely anxious while watching. But it wasn't, it was typical ST. A good old romp.
                  FT.

Comment

Next one in 2016.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                      Next one in 2016.
                      From what I've heard, without JJ Abrams. That might be a good thing if whoever takes the helm is more of a Star Trek fan than JJ had admitted to not being. That's a whole separate thread though

Comment

Abrams role in Trek 3 will be like Chris Nolan's in Man of Steel - supervising executive producer.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sorry for resurrecting.

I recently saw this and I'd give it a 6.5 at best. It's watchable and OK but some stupid moments just annoy and pull you out of immersion. The FX are great. There are almost none of the existential questions and food for thought things for which Star Trek is known. Too many fist fights (in the age of phasers and teleportation).

Good thing they will do if they don't let Abrams direct the 3d part as he IMHO ruined this one.

So am I only one here who doesn't find this awesome?

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                            Good thing they will do if they don't let Abrams direct the 3d part as he IMHO ruined this one.

So am I only one here who doesn't find this awesome?
                            As much as I have actually enjoyed these films, I am excited about seeing some others take the helm (even if JJ has some role in the overall process).

Too many fist fights (in the age of phasers and teleportation).
                            I've been re-watching TOS with my kids and there is a lot of fist fights to be had Of course, there's a nice helping of social commentary thrown in as well (which is almost meaningless to the younger generations now).

Comment

I liked it. Wouldn't call it awesome and a 6 to 6.5 out of 10 seems appropriate. Having said that, that is a pretty high score.
                              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                              X