3D printing of prosthetic hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D printing of prosthetic hands

This is an amazing story. Via the IEEE robotics video roundup is a story of a guy who used a 3D printer to design himself a prosthetic after losing parts of his fingers. He has since gone on to build versions for children with ADS.

When the child outgrows the 'robohand' they simply build bigger parts and and recycle the rest!
    FT.

The form used to make my leg prosthesis is 3D printed. The residual limb is laser scanned, then the form is 3D printed and used to shape a carbon fiber socket.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 May 2013, 14:36.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I swear I posted to this days ago... seems it went poof. This tech excites me. I have friends that ask what the point of 3d printing is and I point to stuff like this.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

The next step is 4D printing; printed working mechanisms made up of multiple 3D printed materials, ranging from polymers and ceramics to metals, tissue and embedded electronics (often organic electronics) - all by the same device. Already in the labs. First example is a bionic ear cartilage with embedded circuitry. At first just an RF antenna etc. as a proof of concept, but more is coming.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 May 2013, 22:07.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X