X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great loss

I'm in morning.

I wish her the best.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

It's the best decision she could make given the prognosis.

Upsides: risk is cut by ~90% and, depending on the specifics, reconstructions can look stunningly good. Some gals look better after than before.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I don't see how she could look better ... they were perfect.

It seems she was fully prepared to undergo surgery long before her tests. It sounds like she jumped right on it. One shouldn't mess around with cancer.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

It was the lead item on one of our network news channels tonite . Geez there must have been something more important that this as the lead item..
        paulw

Comment

What he said.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Besides being a bit of sensational journalism, it's an important topic and Ms. Jolie is an influential figure so it seems fitting to have the news shown under a quick spotlight.

Comment

Yes, I reconsidered. It's not about Ms. Jolie. It's about breast cancer, preventative diagnostics and boobs getting cut off. Way to go Ms. Jolie. Seriously.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

She had an 87% chance of developing cancer. She made what should be the default decision in that case.
                If it gives other woman the courage to make it then it is airtime well spent.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

She's made a very brave decision, looking to the long term. Bravo.

TV doctors here are, while not criticising, saying that surgery isn't the only option. UK Goverment are considering offering Timoxifen (not sure I have the spelling right) as an alternative.
                  FT.

Comment

It's Tamoxifen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamoxifen

No thanks on the side possible effects
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Saw this linked:

EXPOSED: Angelina Jolie part of a clever corporate scheme to protect billions in BRCA gene patents, influence Supreme Court decision (opinion)

NaturalNews) Angelina Jolie's announcement of undergoing a double mastectomy (surgically removing both breasts) even though she had no breast cancer is not the innocent, spontaneous, "heroic choice" that has been portrayed in the mainstream media. Natural News has learned it all coincides with a well-timed for-profit corporate P.R. campaign that has been planned for months and just happens to coincide with the upcoming U.S. Supreme Court decision on the viability of the BRCA1 patent.

Comment

Wow. That was...breathless.

Comment

No evidence, therefore Big Pharma?
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 May 2013, 18:47.
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hmmm, has it been on Fox News yet?

Comment

a friend of mine passed away 2 years ago this week from breast cancer. Discovered the lump, did a biopsy and then scheduled the OR. Then due to conflicting vacation schedules surgery was put off for two months well into the new year. Took both, but was far to late.
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X