Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3dfx Voodoo5 6000 - a frightening fact...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 - a frightening fact...

OK people, computer hardware has come this far in a self contained box. Personally I am having a little trouble coping with the concept of an external power supply for a ****ing video card. 3dfx's brain guys must have been sitting there thinking, "hmmmm, what can we do that's new, and nobody else will want to do anytime soon...", "hey, how about we make this thing so current hungry, that no motherboard can run it, that way we have to sell them a huge transformer just to turn their computers on!", "haha, that's a ****ing fantastic idea!", "let's sell it for $600 too just for a kick in the nuts"

"Observe, your futures end."

I imagine your airflow will be reduced dramatically with the installation of this internal shelf!

[This message has been edited by Agent31 (edited 14 March 2000).]
    Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Damn that shit's ugly!!!!!

Dimitri
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Well, it is much better to have an external power supply than a card that won't run in all motherboards they can't provide enough power.

And, overclocked, this thing will be able to toast your breakfast while playing the morning Q3A.
      Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Well you wont see me lining up for one, firstly on principle, and secondly because I haven't got any power sockets left.
        Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Hem, When I'm organizing a network with my friend I'm already worried that the fuse won't support the 8 pumped up PC's on one wall plug (two if we are lucky).
          But with such a monster there is no hope anymore!

Vlip

Comment

UPS's are my friend!

There is a new AGP slot out there called an AGP Pro slot. This slot, if equiped on a i820 or the like, can provide up to....110 W for the video card!!!

So if you have an AGP Pro slot, an AGP Pro version of the V5 6000 and at least a 350 W power supply, you don't need the ugly external transformer.

The only problem is that ASUS is the only company I know that has an AGP Pro motherboard. That and 3dfx hasn't anounced an AGP Pro version of the V5 series.

Jammrock

------------------
            Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

hehe, we have 2500W PS running our equipment at work and we are currently in beta for 4300W PS This is for Switches and routers. We have one switch that when fully loaded runs at about 50amps or so...

Dave

------------------
              I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Does anyone know what the "INTEL" chip on card does?

------------------
                INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
                G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                SBlive
                128 MB RAM CAS2
                19GB HDD Space! (6.4+13 quantum drives)
                Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

The Intel chip is a pci-to-pci bridge, or something like that. Something to do with having four chips on board.

Comment

Almost all the board makers I know of have boards with AGP Pro (inc the SuperMicro board I'm getting next week).

I know of no cards however that will use it - maybe the G800!

Paul.
                    Meet Jasmine.
                    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

In that picture, I don't see the other powersupply. The one that drives the four 8cm fans. The fans that keep those voodoo chips from scorching your motherboard.

[This message has been edited by moreau (edited 16 March 2000).]
                      System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Moreau, take a quick look beside the chips on the pic again (to the upper left corner of each chip in the image). Looks like the fans draw their power directly from the card.

Probably just another reason it needs a second power source.

------------------
                        Ace
                        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                        Gainward Ti4600
                        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

WTF!!!! All that power and no dual monitor or TV out.

I guess I'm just spoiled by all the other features that Matrox has come out with

Paul
                          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hehe, ALBPM. Just pray that the G800 is more than a match for the performance of the 3DFX cards, and we'll be fine and dandy, don't you think?

------------------
                            Ace
                            "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                            Gainward Ti4600
                            AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

The G800 should, I say SHOULD, slaughter the next gen Voodoo cards but you never know. 3Dfx might get their act together and release this card on time and with great performance. But that price keeps me on the Matrox side.

Comment

Working...
                              X