Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemon

Just picked a 674 g (1.49 lb) lemon!

This winter has been a fantastic season for citrus here. From early November, we had the first clementines, and there are still some on the tree. I estimate we had approaching 250 kg from the one tree. Clementines gave us three months, averaging 2 daily, from a small tree. Merlin oranges were also abundant and very sweet but relatively small. Jaffa oranges (picked the last yesterday) did not crop as well but I guess we had about 60 large fruit. We had exactly 26 pomelos averaging 1.6 kg (3.53 lbs) each. We lost (storm windfalls) about half our mandoras but had three months of the juiciest fruit imaginable. We had two grapefruit trees (neither of us can have them now, incompatible with a specific medication) and we gave away an estimated tonne of them. I have cut one and grafted lime on the stump. As for lemons, we have given away two pickup loads and we still have enough to supply the village for months! The remarkable thing is that both quantity and quality (except for the size of the Merlin oranges) have been really exceptional. We, and our neighbours, now have citric acid in our veins instead of blood!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

If you have too many lemons on your hands, you can always squeeze the juice, pour it into ice cube plastic bags and have it frozen for cooking and such around the year.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Thanks: I've done this for years and also pickle them, make lemon squash and (in the past) lemon marmalade, which is a hassle. Still have a tree full!

Comment

Is this what you're referring to as lemon squash?

*** Recipe here ***

I first thought you were talking about doing something with the vegetable. SSQ102_01.jpg

We make lemonade ("When life gives you lemons, ...") which is similar but not cooked and concentrated. I've never thought of making lemon marmalade and I do love a proper tart orange marmalade. We have lemons from our huge tree year-round but just hand out some extras to friends, family, and neighbors. Many are just tossed into the compost. I mainly use them for BBQ, some cooking and with fish/seafood. A big batch of tart lemonade is quite refreshing on very hot days, especially if I'm working outside. Quite the thirst quencher. I'll have to try a batch of marmalade sometime when I'm feeling motivated.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Lemon squash http://www.domestic-executive.com/do...lemon-cordial/

We add some ginger for a bit of extra zing.

Comment

Sounds like heaven.

Those lemon trees have some thorns, don't they?

Comment

thorns

No, though my grapefruit tree has some thorns.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                Sounds like heaven.

Those lemon trees have some thorns, don't they?
                Indeed, ours is vicious. The thorns are 20-25 mm long, hard and razor sharp points. However, the thorniest plant we have is the bougainvillea which forms an impenetrable bush which has to be regularly and painfully cut back.

Comment

Working...
                X