Switzerland, viewed from Cyprus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switzerland, viewed from Cyprus

I've built a website on how I look back at my 35 years in the land-locked isle of Switzerland from the sea-locked isle of Cyprus.

It is paradoxically both serious and light-hearted, I hope even funny in places.

Please have a look at it and tell me what you think. If you like it, pass the link on to your friends.

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Nothing on the Swiss Navy?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Or the Astronaut program, which endeavors to mine cheese from the moon?
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
        Military navy:
        Landlocked Switzerland does not have a high-seas navy, but it does maintain a fleet of military lake patrol boats. This includes the Aquarius-class Patrouillenboot 80 PBRs, operated by Motorboat Company 10, which patrol Lake Geneva, Lake Lucerne, Lake Lugano, Lake Maggiore and Lake Constance.

Swiss lakes, most notably Lake Constance, Lake Maggiore and Lake Geneva, are among the most intensively navigated lakes in the world.

Merchant navy:
        In 2010, a fleet of 37 ships flew the Swiss flag, made up of bulk carriers, container ships, multi-purpose freighters and tankers, totalling one million tonnes and operated by six shipping companies.

Comment

Or the Astronaut program, which endeavors to mine cheese from the moon?

2013-04-08_185818.jpg

Comment

good read!!

If you click on Politics on the left hand side of your website, the word environment flashes.

Just a heads up

Comment

I love Switzerland. I've been there twice, almost exactly 20 years apart. Sadly I've already missed the next 20 year cycle.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I drove through it twice last year (to and fro Italy). Beautifull sights, even from the highways. Stayed over in a small village near Luzern (I think), friendly people there.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                  good read!!

If you click on Politics on the left hand side of your website, the word environment flashes.

Just a heads up
                  Elie,

thanks, noted and corrected.

I've also added another page and have some suggestions lined up for future pages.

Comment

The Swiss Navy thing was a joke of sort. There used to be something here in the Netherlands on the Swiss Navy requiring guns to fire holes in the cheese or something. Not sure it was funny even then.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                      Well the Swiss land locked did win the America's Cup from us some years ago. Not bad for a country with no oceans..
                      paulw

Comment

Working...
                      X