Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal 4 engine tech demos are out!!

Unreal Engine 4 "Infiltrator" Real-Time Demo
    At GDC 2013, Epic Games released the Unreal Engine 4 "Infiltrator" demo, running 100% in-engine in real time, showing off UE4's high-end rendering features a...

Unreal Engine 4: Real-Time PS4 Tech Demo
    Epic Games shows off a new tech demo for Unreal Engine 4 running in real-time on PS4.

INSANE!!

Game engine demos always look better than the real game unless you have the cash lying around to build a $5000 4-way SLI rig. They do look very pretty though.

And it confirms why I still like PC gaming better, because the PC demo looked and moved way better.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Let there be linux with close to metal gpu processing
      /wish
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Yes, the PC version was much better than the PS4 version.

A question: There is incredible detail and physics in so much of this, why can't they render using a pallette that looks more realistic?
        FT.

Comment

That actually might be deliberate.

There is the paradox called uncanny valley. The more realistic a graphic or computer is, the more it appears bad if it is just slightly off. By using a slightly wrong palette, they add an artificial difference from real world images, thus possibly avoiding this uncanny valley.
          Last edited by VJ; 18 April 2013, 01:27.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Interesting stuff VJ.

Feature movies don't do that, does that mean that PCs and consoles still don't have the power to produce realistic enough images in real time?
            FT.

Comment

I'm no expert in this, but this would just be my first guess as to why the colour palette is not fully realistic.
              It can be difficult to predict if a design will fall into the uncanny valley or not. There are some tricks to get out of the it, and I would guess they just use test audiences for that. Or maybe they just wanted to play it safe or give the game a different atmosphere...

The wikipedia article mentions some feature movies that have had issues with it, and some that managed to avoid it.
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
              X