'ID Forever' parts 1&2 (201x)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'ID Forever' parts 1&2 (201x)

Director Roland Emmerich offers plenty of new info for the planned two-part sequel to Independence Day, saying that they take place 20 years after the first film and that it'll focus on a new generation including Will Smith's character's stepson.

A sequel to 1996's blockbuster sci-fi film Independence Day has been in development for years, with the possibility of two to form a trilogy. Last year, it was revealed that there will be a two-part follow-up to the original film, with the working titles ID Forever Part 1 and ID Forever Part 2 being planned. Now, speaking with Entertainment Weekly, director Roland Emmerich confirms that he is is developing the two sequels, which were written by him and Dean Devlin. White House Down and The Amazing Spider-Man scribe James Vanderbilt is rewriting. The movies will take place 20 years after the first film, " when a distress call sent by the first wave of aliens finally brings reinforcements to Earth." "The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back," says Emmerich. "And they know that the only way you can really travel in space is through wormholes. So for the aliens, it could take two or three weeks, but for us that’s 20 or 25 years." He also says that the world of ID Forever will be changed, and he is working with an art department staff to shape its look. It’s a changed world. It’s like parallel history. [Humans] have harnessed all this alien technology. We don’t know how to duplicate it because it’s organically-grown technology, but we know how to take an antigravity device and put it in a human airplane."

One question on everyone's mind is, will we see Will Smith return? While some familiar faces will return (including Bill Pullman), Smith hasn't committed to the sequels. The storylines will focus on a new generation of human heroes, which include Steven Hiller's (Smith) stepson, who was played by Ross Bagley in the first Independence Day. "It’s still some of the same characters, but also new younger characters; it’s a little bit like the sons take over," says Emmerich. Part 1 sequel will feature a cliffhanger ending, in order to have audiences return. "The first one ends on a little success, but only enough to give the humans hope. And then in the second one they free themselves again [from the aliens]." Finally, Emmerich says that the aliens will "do different things", and "we've rebuilt" when asked what's left for aliens to destroy.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

This trend of splitting movies into two or three parts is starting to become a crutch for bad storytelling. That said, I loved the original ID, tropes and all. My concern would be that this would just become another generic sci-fi romp devoid of any real originality. Hopefully, if nothing else, these sequels are just as fun as the original.

Also, why do we still not have a laptop with the battery life of that Powerbook Jeff G. was using?
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I agree, and I think bringing back Will Smith will be a good thing.
      He must have charged the laptop between scenes

Comment

My memory mst be failing but how on earth did the aliens send out a distress call? Weren't they destroyed like 0.1s after they found out they were screwed? Hell of a feat to get a distress call out on such short notice especially given like how they were *winning* and the need for such a call must have been parsecs from their mind.

Seems to me this is a concern of global security.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
          That said, I loved the original ID, tropes and all. My concern would be that this would just become another generic sci-fi romp devoid of any real originality. Hopefully, if nothing else, these sequels are just as fun as the original.
          True... Although for instance Battleships surprised me: it was still a simple alien-invasion story, but it was entertaining (and IMO much better than Coybows vs. Aliens, which just from the title seemed to have potential).

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
          Also, why do we still not have a laptop with the battery life of that Powerbook Jeff G. was using?
          Aliens haven't landed yet...

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
          My memory mst be failing but how on earth did the aliens send out a distress call? Weren't they destroyed like 0.1s after they found out they were screwed? Hell of a feat to get a distress call out on such short notice especially given like how they were *winning* and the need for such a call must have been parsecs from their mind.
          Could be something like a blackbox in a plane: if the mothership is blown up, this parts sends a homing signal? And if people also picked up the signal, they could expect the aliens to return.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

If the main ship had constant telemetry / comms to home base and said bases cooms officer saw a flash and loss of all data, that loss of signals would probably be interpreted as evidence they were screwed.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 March 2013, 03:16.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Seems to me some of the aliens would have survived the destruction of their ships. A "resistance" movement of aliens would have been interesting.
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Perhaps it was just me, but wasn't the 1996 movie a plot less wonder full of ridiculous holes?

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman View Post
                  Perhaps it was just me, but wasn't the 1996 movie a plot less wonder full of ridiculous holes?
                  It had its holes, but IMO it was genuine Hollywood entertainment: set brain to zero and enjoy.
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                  X