Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Count of Monte Cristo (201x)

Hmmmm....

A 19th Century Dark Knight? More reasonable than it sounds since many masked avenger story writers have credited it as an inspiration. Could well work.

Michael Robert Johnson has penned the script for a "graphic novel" approach to the classic Alexandre Dumas tale for Constantin Films.

David Goyer to Direct 'Count of Monte Cristo' Remake (Exclusive)

The Count of Monte Cristo is making its way back to the big screen.

David Goyer has signed to direct an adaptation of the classic Alexandre Dumas revenge tale that is being made by Constantin Films. Impact Pictures’ Jeremy Bolt, the producer behind the successful Resident Evil franchise, is producing Monte Cristo.

Set in early 19th century France, the tale centers on Edmond Dantes, a young man betrayed and falsely jailed. While on a prison island, Dantes meets a fellow inmate who not only educates the man but also points him in the direction of a fortune. When Dantes finally escapes after many years, he re-emerges in Paris society primed to take revenge against the men who took away his love and his freedom.

Goyer was involved in co-writing Christopher Nolan’s Batman movie trilogy, helping reboot the movie incarnation of the character after its late-’90s flame-out, and has sole screenwriting credit on the Nolan-produced relaunch of Superman, Man of Steel.

This experience helped Goyer land the new gig because Constantin’s approach for Monte Cristo will be akin to the refurbished take Warner Bros. did on its Sherlock Holmes movies as well as its DC heroes. In fact, one source tells The Hollywood Reporter that a buzz phrase for Monte Cristo is “19th century Dark Knight.” Constantin put an ultra-modern spin on a literary classic with Paul W.S. Anderson's The Three Musketeers, which didn't catch on domestically but performed solidly internationally.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 March 2013, 00:25.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

If they can stick closer to the source material than previous efforts have, while also updating it, then they should have an excellent movie in the works. I liked the 2002 film adaptation with Jim Caviezel, but it was altered so much from the original story that it lost a lot of what made the whole narrative tale so great.

What would be even better is a film on Alexandre Dumas' father, general Thomas-Alexandre Davy de la Pailleterie, who was the inspiration for characters in many of his novels.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I totally agree - a film about Thomas-Alexandre Davy de la Pailleterie could be epic! One of those lesser known historical figures who should get much better press.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

will it be anything like this...?

Comment

I liked that one for what it was, but it left out so much that was good about the novel. I doubt it will be anything like it except for the general plot and characters.
          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

That's the Jim Caviezel vehicle Jessterw posted about. Good for what it was, but missing good parts of the novel and rewritten to make it a different story. A good example of this kind of modding was King's The Shining as done by Stanley Kubrick. Parts of the film were changed beyond recognition (Tony, the boiler, Hallorann's fate, etc.) yet it was good on its own merits.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

There actually was (and I still have) Gotham by Gaslight "Alternate Universe" series of the early 1990s. The Dark Knight set in 1880-1890s Gotham. The first was kind of cool (they nailed the genre), subsequent issues wandered a bit (tried to go against H.G .Wells and Jules Verne...and failed), but the writers had a good idea with the concept.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
              X