SpaceX Falcon Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX Falcon Heavy

Consider this the SpaceX Falcon Heavy maiden flight thread.

Now that the SpaceX Falcon Heavy cores are being prepped for their new large underground test stand at McGregor Texas & shipment to Vandenberg AFB later this year, PopSci and others are starting to cover it.

This is going to be one powerful SOB, and 227 feet tall for the standard fairing. Fully capable of beyond Earth orbit missions, it'll also be human rated & be able to launch the manned DragonRider spacecraft well past the moon.

IMAGES: the engine mounts aren't quite right, and the cores won't have the squared-off corner fairings at the bottom, but pretty darned close.

Also: they didn't mention that in a reusable version the cores will be flying back to vertical propulsive landings near the launch site.

Another omission is that unlike most rocket engines whose chambers are machined & plated, the Merlin 1D's chamber & upper nozzle are explosively hydroformed. Not one-offs, Merlin 1D's are made on a production line - up to 700 / year.

When the firm SpaceX launches its Falcon Heavy rocket into space late this year, the craft will become the mightiest rocket in the world. Only NASA's

How It Works: The Most Powerful Space Rocket

When the firm SpaceX launches its Falcon Heavy rocket into space late this year, the craft will become the mightiest rocket in the world. Only NASA’s Saturn V, which sent Americans to the moon, has ever generated more power. In rockets, the most important measure of power is thrust. Falcon Heavy’s 27 individual booster engines together generate 3.8 million pounds of thrust—enough to lift the 3.1-million-pound rocket and its 117,000-pound payload toward low-Earth orbit. The rocket’s success is critical for both SpaceX and the U.S. space program: The Air Force has already hired SpaceX and its Falcon Heavy to send two satellites into orbit sometime in 2015.

1) ENGINE CLUSTER

Nine SpaceX Merlin 1D engines sit at the bottom of each of the craft’s three cores, or boosters. The engines are identical to those on SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket.

2) FIRST STAGE: THREE ROCKET CORES

Falcon Heavy’s first stage consists of three cores. All three cores operate together at liftoff. About T+2:45 minutes into flight, the center core throttles down while the two side cores continue at full thrust until their fuel is nearly spent. At that point, pneumatic separators release the side cores, which plummet into the ocean, and the center core throttles up.

3) CENTER CORE

For payloads heavier than 100,000 pounds, Falcon Heavy uses a cross-feed system to run fuel from the side cores to the center core, leaving the center core almost fully fueled after the side boosters separate. What’s left is the equivalent of a complete Falcon 9 rocket already high in space.

4) FUEL TANKS

A liquid-oxygen tank at the top of each core feeds the engines through a center tube; the lower portion of the tank contains rocket-grade kerosene. The propellants are turbo-pumped into each Merlin engine’s injector, where they are mixed and fed into the combustion chamber.

5) SECOND STAGE

Powered by a single Merlin 1D engine modified to operate in the vacuum of space, the second stage delivers the final push that gets the payload into orbit. The engine can shut down and reignite as needed, enabling Falcon Heavy to deliver multiple payloads to different orbits.

6) FAIRING

Falcon Heavy can carry either a Dragon capsule—SpaceX’s free-flying spacecraft, currently used to resupply the International Space Station—or up to 117,000 pounds of payload (think multiple military and commercial satellites) enclosed in a shell 45 feet long and 17 feet in diameter. The fairing consists of two clamshell-style halves made of an aluminum honeycomb core and carbon-fiber face sheets. When the second stage nears the desired orbit, pneumatic pushers split the halves apart, exposing the payload.

7) MERLIN 1D ENGINE

A single Merlin 1D generates 147,000 pounds of thrust at sea level, burning rocket-grade kerosene and liquid oxygen fed by a turbo-pump into the combustion chamber. Falcon Heavy’s liquid propellant has an advantage over solid fuel: Liquid-fueled engines can stop and restart in flight, whereas solid-fuel engines burn until they are spent. Through proprietary adjustments that SpaceX won’t disclose, engineers recently lightened the engine to increase its efficiency, making it the most efficient rocket booster engine ever built.
    >
    > (Countdown & post-launch tick-tock)
    >

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 March 2013, 20:16.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

That is one big arse rocket. What do they plan on launching with that thing?
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
      That is one big arse rocket. What do they plan on launching with that thing?

Initially it'll be used to launch large DoD spy satellites into polar orbits, perhaps 2 at once, and multiple commercial satellites. Scientists drool over the probes it could loft, and manned deep space and space infrastructure launches like an Exploration Gateway would be naturals.

Launches will initially be from Vandenberg AFB, but KSC will get the new infrastructure and so will their coming commercial spaceport. This new spaceport (and a new factory) is very likely to be at Boca Chica beach near Brownsville Texas.

What needs to be emphasized is that FH represents a breakthrough in launch costs - less than $1,000 / lb when for a long time it's been $4,000 to $10,000 / lb or more. Compared to the competion; a Falcon Heavy using cross-feed costs $128 million, $83 million without it, while the Delta IV Heavy (current largest rocket) costs $300 to $400 million and launches half as much. A shuttle launch had a real cost (vs PR) of almost $1 billion and only launched 24 metric tons in the payload bay.

FH is also to get a 2nd stage upgrade option - the methane-fueled Raptor for launches that need a higher energy boost. That'll up its LEO payload from 53 metric tons to around 70 metric tons. There is also talk of a much larger fairing.

There is also a (likely methane fueled) super-heavy booster in the pipeline, variously called the Falcon X or BFR (big f'ing rocket.) It's to be in the 160-200 metric ton range, which dwarfs even the Saturn V's 112 metric tons. This one has Mars written all over it.

Elon Musk is to outline SpaceX's Mars archetecture later this year or early next year. It's known to include something called MCT, and that's said to stand for Mars Colony Transport. This could be the BFR, or it could be a large Mars / deep space transfer vehicle.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 March 2013, 09:40.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Drooling at the thought of Space Exploration getting closer for possible manned missions
        Methane is a good fuel, there are quite few deposits of hydrates that are being mined undersea. I heard of one lately iirc, Morocco or something like that.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Methane can also be extracted from natural gas, and the US recently started tapping ginormous new deposits that left us with reserves of almost 1.9 quadrillion cubic feet (and climbing as more is discovered.)

Damn, that's a big number
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

afaik, the only problem is not letting it get to the atmosphere.
            As long as its all captured, its sort of OK, even though its still a CO2 generating fuel.
            Would be ideal for power generation, as it could be burned efficiently, more so than piping it to consumers, where it might leak in many places.

And space rockets
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

NG is increasingly a major part of US power production. In 2002 coal generation was 50% and 18% was by NG, but by 2012 coal declined to about 37% and NG increased to 34%. That pro-NG curve is still bending upwards as coal plants go offline, NG plants are built and new deposits go live.

SpaceX is going methane not only because of it being cheap here but also because Methane can be easily made on Mars for use there and by return flights. Break down water ice on Mars and process the hydrogen with atmospheric CO2 + heat and a catalyst and you get methane for fuel and more water (Sabatier reaction.)
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 March 2013, 14:16.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sign outside of SpaceX's Vandenberg SLC-4E Falcon 9 / Falcon Heavy facility shows more than launches are in store there -

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

So, the new F9 v1.1 octagonal + center engine arrangement has a name: Octaweb.

These shots are of standard F9 v1.1 cores getting ready for shipment to McGregor, TX for testing. Damned first stage is longer than the entire F9 v1.0 stack, and those for Falcon Heavy's side boosters will be significantly longer (!)

On the new observation platform with my partner Randy Glein, who used to work at Hughes and Martin Marietta. Below us, booster and second stages get ready for shipment. The white structure on the left is the paint booth, directly fed from the friction-stir-welder contraption. With version 1.1, the booster switches the 3x3 motor block to an Octaweb that's flush with the body with a ring of the new Merlin 1D engines (manufacturing, testing). After three weeks docked to the ISS, the SpaceX Dragon capsule will separate later this evening at 4am PST and bring 1.3 tons of scientific payloads back to Earth (the only spacecraft capable of doing that). More links below.

2 first & 2 second stages in the shot, plus what looks to be a thrust structure / engine mount (jig?) in the back-left.

Thrust structure or jig for same left, second stage right
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

With their focus on first stage recovery & re-use with Gr****opper and F9R (F-Niner) one question that crops up is how the Falcon Heavy's center core will be recovered, if at all.

For details & a photo of an F-Niner / F9R landing gear leg check the F9R updates thread.

The FH side boostrrs drop off relatively low & slow so they can boost back like F-Niner, but that canter core acts like stage 1.5 - going faster, higher, and far...too far to boost back to the pad. Today Musk had a Twitter conversation about Falcon Heavy center core recovery;

2552nsf @2552nsf
                    @elonmusk Speaking of F9R, how do you plan to recover the FH center core? Seems it would be going too fast/far for direct boost-back.

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk
                    @2552nsf Yeah, that is super tricky. Will have to sacrifice a lot of payload to boost back or land on ocean platform.

JP Burke ‏@yatpay
                    @elonmusk Is it possible to launch from Texas and land in Florida?

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk
                    @yatpay Side boosters fall short & center core goes too far + Florida is heavily populated. Landing permission tricky
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 May 2013, 21:04.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                    X