Best option for mobile gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best option for mobile gaming?

A friend is going to be in hospital for some time. Doesn't have a hand held gaming device or a smart phone,

What is his best option these days? I would lean to a powerful android device but that will come with monthly expenses he may not want. Failing a phone, what's the best handheld gaming option?

All thought welcome,

Thanks

T.
    FT.

Sry, no clue. I do like my Playbook but objectively I see no reason why an Android device loaded up with games and stuff (10 seasons of Spooks, BSG, whatever, loads of books) would not be better, cheaper and avoid monthly cost?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

That's a very interesting idea, thanks
      FT.

Comment

One thing to consider: why is he going to the hospital? (no need to elaborate, but read on)

If he will be quite tired every day, long games are not really what he needs. And then the casual games that are on Android are most likely very suitable. I would guess Nintendo DS to be also more casual gaming than e.g. a PSP (just my feeling, I just played a few times with my cousin's DS and saw a friend's PSP). If he just needs to be at the hospital, without really being tired and/or sick, it changes this somewhat.

But why would an android device incur a monthly fee? Plenty of tablets out there...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Check & see if the hospital has free wifi for patients. Both the hospitan and the rehab facility I was in did, which saved a ton on tablet cell data rates. If so, then a Nexus 7 (quad core Android) with just wifi is good. Two of my sons have them and they're pleased with them.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I don't know whats available atm. I am away with work and he just had an op on Sunday to remove a bowel tumor. The cancer has spread to his liver, chemo and more ops to come.

I've heard a few people struggling with their Playbooks, I'm wondering if a Kindle Fire would be a better option now its finally over here.

Certainly he has spent a lot of time xboxing, playing each game that interests him exhaustively.
            FT.

Comment

Well, an iPod touch would be a good suggestion, the Apple Store has a better repertoire of games that the google market in my opinion, but the Nexus 7 tablet is far less expensive.

Also depends on the games. A PS Vita has some nice graphics and pretty damn good games, same with the Nintendo 3DS.

I personally still enjoy my 1st gen gameboy advance, it needs good room lighting but probably lasts 4 times longer than any of the previous devices I mentioned, unless you plug them in then there all the same.

One thing to mention, you can get a Playstation One emulator for Android and it's the only one that does it. Snes emulators and what not exist for Android as well.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Not the best but prolly the cheapest

How many games do you need?
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

What mobile gaming platform did you choose finally?

I need closure on these types of things you know.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Kindle fire... *spits*

I'm opposed to all things Kindle. Ever since the days of the "my book comes with a GIGANTIC KEYBOARD", right down to "it costs more and performs worse than the Nook Tablet", and the new "paperwhite... by which we mean BLUE LED's!" I am astonishingly underwhelmed at ever turn by all things Kindle.

Don't get me started on e-readers in general.

(See, I've mellowed but I can still be cranky...)
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Saw him the other day. He's home now but will be doing chemo every fortnight for a few months.

So light-weight casual gaming is key. It'll be an iPad or decent smartphone.

Thanks for all the input.
                      FT.

Comment

So the story is his original op wasn't to remove the tumor but to install a stoma and bypass the blockage. That way they could start chemo sooner. He is now on his sixth round of chemo and will be having a scan soon to see if/how well the tumour is shrinking.
                        It has taken him a long while to decide but he finally plumped for an S3 mini, which he seems to be enjoying. The days after a treatment leave him feeling quite zombifies and it side effects seem to be building after each one.

T.
                        FT.

Comment

If you want the "Ultimate" in portable gaming the Razer Edge is the way to go. It's a tablet that can play full fledged PC games. If you can swallow the $1000+ price tag and if it's available in the UK.

The Ultimate Android Gaming Handheld powered by Snapdragon G3X Gen 1 Platform, 144Hz AMOLED FHD+ screen, and WiFi 6E connectivity.

Otherwise a decent iWhatever or Android device would work just fine. You can get a pretty decent Android tablet pretty inexpensive and there are a lot of free to play and inexpensive games. The Galaxy Tab 2 has a 7" screen and runs 145 quid on Amazon.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                          X