3D mark over remote FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D mark over remote FX

So I set up remote FX on demo HP Z820 workstation.

Pretty neat rig: dual E5 2643 3.3GHz Xeons, 8 cores, 16 threads, 32GB RAM, Quadro 6000

Server 2012, Hyper-V

Client: 2GB, RemoteFX GPU, Windows 7.

I remoted into it with Thinkpad T60p running Windows 7 over 100Mb switch. Bandwidth use was about 1MB/s

I got 3546 3Dmarks 2001 which is lower than Intel GMA 900 or GeForce 3. It's about GeForce 2 territory. In lobby scene Neo was missing, in dragothich high detail dragon was missing and some houses roofs weren't drawn as well. The DX 8 benchmarks worked however.

Find it strange since 2001 is ancient and I'd expect everything to be drawn. Framerates were in 30's but there was occasional jerkiness.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 20 February 2013, 11:02.

have you tried 3DMark 2001 on a Quadro 6000 without hypervisor/RemoteFX? It might very well be the case that the drivers for this card are not tested with old software like 3DMark2001.

A Quadro however will probably be validated to work with recent releases of 3DStudio, autocad, etc...

Comment

Hey UtwigMU, I am also thinking (saving money) to buy the same rig... dual E5 2643 3.3GHz Xeons, 8 cores, 16 threads, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX (whatever)

It'll be my editing rig and gaming when I'm not editing

How is the performance of dual 8 core procs?

Thanks

Comment

I was running 3dmark 2001 on virtual machine with 2GB running Win7 and CPU usage was 1-3% on across both processors and 16 cores.

Comment

Does the VM have a RemoteFX GPU or a RemoteFX vGPU?

The GPU is software rendering, uses the processors. A vGPU is host based rendering off the video card, and should be much faster. I've seen demos of people playing Diablo III, Halo, Crysis, and other games with no troubles.

BTW, I would recommend turning on Dynamic Memory.

Speaking of...my new laptop is in. HP EliteBook 8570w with an i7-3630QM, 32GM RAM, and lots of storage. I've been planning on running Server 2012 with RemoteFX and using VMs to run my work stuff. I've curious how it will all work.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
            Hey UtwigMU, I am also thinking (saving money) to buy the same rig... dual E5 2643 3.3GHz Xeons, 8 cores, 16 threads, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX (whatever)

It'll be my editing rig and gaming when I'm not editing

How is the performance of dual 8 core procs?

Thanks
            Hi Elie !

Any particular reason why you're targeting dual Xeons ?

Instead of two 4/8 cores/threads Xeons, I would recommend my actual rig (see sig) for editing & gaming purposes ...

It has a tremendous bang-for-buck-ratio and is still upgradeable, once the Ivy Bridge E CPUs will be released.

The Core i7-3930K comes with 6/12 cores/threads, is one hell of an OCer and has 12MB L3 cache.

The MSI GTX 670 Power Edition OC are almost on par with a full blown GTX 680, but quite a bit cheaper and if you'd spare the dollars on the CPUs and mobo, you could easily afford to get two 670s in SLI ...

Are there any particular benchmarks, you're insterested in ?

Cheers,
            Maggi
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Elie if you want me to run any benchmarks for you, just say.

Otherwise unless you need the memory dual sockets can provide or you really need the cpu power, I don't see a viable reason to go with dual sockets for workstation with 6-core CPUs available

Of course I also don't see a need for 300+ HP BMW 1M but I'd still buy one if I had 50k to spend on a car.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 21 February 2013, 15:47.

Comment

This HP workstation (I'll keep hush untill HP wants it back ) is the first HP comp I'd want to have - it's brilliant. The insides, the coolers - doesn't go above 50°C with 16 threads of Prime95, the removable thin power supply on top of case, the hoods, the lot.

Comment

Working...
                X