Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.1 speaker opinion

Hello,

I'm in the market for a decent, compact 5.1 setup, to connect to a Marantz SR6001. I asked about speaker impedance before, as I was considering some Scandyna speakers that were 4 Ohm and I was not sure they would go well with the amplifier. At the time, I did not have the amplifier yet (it was in Belgium, I was in Poland).

Now, amplifier is here, renovations are almost over, and I can finally think about connecting everything. I can get a very good deal (approx 35% off) of these speakers:

(sorry for the Polish link, the series is not on an English language website)

This puts them at far less than half the price of the Scandyna speakers, at they get surprisingly good reviews:
    Latest reviews, products, news, advice, videos and more, from the world's no.1 technology buyer's guide - What Hi-Fi?

Any opinions on this set or on Boston Acoustics in general?

I was also thinking that if the centre speaker is not good enough (movies are important), I could get this one:

and then get one more of those small satellites (they are sold by piece), and either turn it into a 7.1 system, or connect them as front speakers A and B (which might give a better sound distribution). But this would only be if it turns out to be necessary. So first thing: is the set interesting?

Any thoughts?

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 19 February 2013, 06:37.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Originally posted by VJ View Post
    Hello,
    Hi!
    renovations are almost over
    OMFG, ROFL.

Other than that, I am not into anything other than 2.0 so can't help I'm afraid.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

In equally helpful mode:

Have you considered a sound bar instead of lots of discrete speakers?
      FT.

Comment

Well, I don't really like the soundbar... Particularly because the setup would not be symmetrical in the room (consider the room as a rectangle with 2 halves: |___:_^_|, and the front of the setup would for instance be where the ^ is). As most soundbars use reflection on side walls, it would not really work. And all the cabling is in place, I have the amplifier, just missing the speakers.
        pixar

Comment

I've always auditioned speakers myself with various samples of music that I was familiar with. That made the decision process very easy.

In regards to 5.1, I'm among the camp that likes the speakers all at the same height and of the same make to maintain the character of the speaker. KEF's all around here though with a Velodyne sub.
          Last edited by xortam; 19 February 2013, 13:47.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Just got the Boston Acoustics Soundware system.
            The speakers are really small and look nice. The plastic is shiny black, but feels high quality. The subwoofer has a matte and more rough feeling, but it feels also high quality and scratch proof (have not tested this). They are connected to the Marantz SR6001.

At the moment, everything needs to be configured (all amplifier settings are default, no equalizer), and the speakers need to get their final position, but the sound feels good. Radio playback was a bit disappointing (and I feared the speakers would not sound well), but playing back a movie really sounded nice. Once I run the amplifiers Audyssey system to adjust it optimally, I'll have a better grasp on it, but so far sound is more than what I would expect from such small, relatively cheap speakers.
            pixar

Comment

OT: This is something I do not understand: I am very pleased with mu audio setup (2.0), music playes very well, clear whether at low or high volumes. Radio however.... I really need to put quite a bit of volume on before I find (talk) radio understandable/clear. No clue why that is and it is annoying to the max.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Yes... In my case FM really lacks clarity and detail. I wonder if it is really an FM limitation, a result of how it is stored on the station (low quality mp3) or that the transmission is adapted to the ears of most youngsters (who are used to listening to mp3 and getting deaf anyway)... My car radio manages better, but it does some processing on the audio.
                pixar

Comment

I'm talking about, for instance, live talk radio. I can't imagine that being processed through low-quality mp3. But yeah, my car gives me better, how do you say, understandable? audible? voices.

Comment

Missed the thread

B&W is a good brand of speaker. I've enjoyed their handwork for many years. I would audition their Mini Theater line.

If you hadn't already gotten the BA these would have been a good audition.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I've always found B&W dull-sounding (which is why they are easily paired with the rather agressive Denons). Of course, KvH would curse me now.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                        I've always found B&W dull-sounding (which is why they are easily paired with the rather agressive Denons). Of course, KvH would curse me now.
                        That may be, but for the money I haven't found anything better. Most of the speakers in the price range sound very harsh or muddled to me.

I love the Martin Logan sound. Their speakers are just a bit out of my price range. And knowing my kids they would poke holes in the mylar.

My favorite speakers are Wilson Audio. Those cost as much as a car.
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'm talking about $2K for amp+2speakers in 2000, not exactly high-end. I admit, I would not know what to by for that money today.

Comment

My parents have those B&W speakers, and they sound good. But they are in a different pricerange. Through some loyalty program at the bank, I could get the Boston Acoustics at nearly half price, which put them at about 400 euro for the 5.1 set. I did not want something big and read good comments on them, so I decided to risk it.
                            For their price and size, they surprise me in a positive sense. They are really small and easy to mount: the set has all necessary mounting brackets, which for me now is ideal. For sure there are better speakers, but considering all aspects (price, size,...) it seems a good buy. I still need to hang them and adjust the amplifier (it has thia Audyssey room correction), but even with everything set to neutral, it sounds good.
                            pixar

Comment

None of the above? PM me

Currently building a stereo pair, WWMTMWW or a WMTMW + WW or a MTMWW + WW per stereo channel LOL

M and W are 6.5"midbass subs, tweeter is a AMT run active using a MiniDSP and 8x90w channels

12 midbass's + 2 AMT's total

Range 27-20k+

The first one stands ~6.5' tall is ~12" deep and 21" wide. Front baffle is 7" where it rounds over on a large radius out to the 21" width. From widest point, the arced back is only 3" deep. There is a 4" spline in the middle of the back running top to bottom. Others are shorter versions, about foot less and are designed to be placed against the wall (ultra difficult todo properly, why you don't see them) Cross section looks like a squashed (flattened & stretched) cardioid.

Not in your budget, but think we may be able to steer ya in the right direction
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X