RIP Petro Vlahos, blue/greenscreen pioneer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Petro Vlahos, blue/greenscreen pioneer

Oscar-winning visual effects pioneer Petro Vlahos - who pioneered blue and green-screen techniques used by thousands of movies - dies aged 96.

Blue and green-screen effects pioneer Petro Vlahos dies

Mr Vlahos helped perfect the ability to superimpose actors on separately filmed backgrounds

The visual effects industry has paid tribute to Petro Vlahos - the pioneer of blue- and green-screen systems.

The techniques allow filmmakers to superimpose actors and other objects against separately filmed backgrounds.

He developed the procedure for 1959's Ben-Hur and then went on to win an Oscar in 1964 after creating a related process for Disney's Mary Poppins.

The death of the 96-year-old was announced by the company he founded, Ultimatte.

His innovations continue to be used and developed by the television, film, computer games and advertising industries.

"Our industry has lost a giant," Everett Burrell, senior visual effects supervisor at Los Angeles-based studio Look Effects. told the BBC.

"It's hard to even conceive of how we would do what we do without the amazing number of processes and techniques he pioneered. All visual effects professionals and movie fans owe him a debt of gratitude."

Look Effects has built on Mr Vlahos' achievements to create work for the movies Avatar, The Life of Pi and the upcoming Superman film, Man of Steel.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

yeah, major bummer ...

without him, I'd only have half the work I'm doing now

thanx for the note, doc.
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
    X