Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meteorite impact in Urals - hundreds of injuries (major piece found)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteorite impact in Urals - hundreds of injuries (major piece found)

Not so sure about the Russian missiles shooting it down, but....

Russia’s Urals region has been rocked by a meteorite explosion in the stratosphere. The impact wave damaged several buildings, and blew out thousands of windows amid frigid winter weather. Hundreds have sought medical attention for minor injuries.

A series of explosions in the skies of Russia’s Urals region, reportedly caused by a meteor shower, has sparked panic in three major cities. Witnesses said that houses shuddered, windows were blown out and cellphones stopped working.

According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the meteorite into pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers.

A bright flash was seen in the Chelyabinsk, Tyumen and Sverdlovsk regions, Russia’s Republic of Bashkiria and in northern Kazakhstan.

Lifenews tabloid reported that at least one piece of the fallen object caused damage on the ground in Chelyabinsk. According to preliminary reports, it crashed into a wall near a zinc factory, disrupting the fiber-optic connections of internet providers and mobile operators.

Witnesses said the explosion was so loud that it resembled an earthquake and thunder at the same time, and that there were huge trails of smoke across the sky. Others reported seeing burning objects fall to earth.

Police in the Chelyabinsk region are reportedly on high alert, and have enacted the ‘Fortress’ plan in order to protect vital infrastructure.

Office buildings in downtown Chelyabinsk are being evacuated. Injuries were reported at one of the city’s secondary schools, supposedly from smashed windows. No other injuries have been reported so far.

An emergency message published on the website of the Chelyabinsk regional authority urged residents to pick up their children from school and remain at home if possible.

The regional Emergency Ministry said the phenomenon was a meteorite shower, but locals have speculated that it was a military fighter jet crash or a missile explosion.

“According to preliminary data, the flashes seen over the Urals were caused by [a] meteorite shower," the Emergency Ministry told Itar-Tass news agency.

The Emergency Ministry reported that no civil aircraft were damaged by the meteorite shower, and that “all flights proceed according to schedule.” No local power stations were damaged, either.

Residents of the town of Emanzhilinsk, some 50 kilometers from Chelyabinsk, said they witnessed a flying object that suddenly burst into flames, broke apart and fell to earth. A black cloud was reported hanging above the town.

Witnesses in Chelyabinsk said the city’s air smells like gunpowder.

Many locals reported that the explosion rattled their houses and smashed windows.

“This explosion, my ears popped, windows were smashed… phone doesn’t work,” Evgeniya Gabun wrote on Twitter.

“My window smashed, I am all shaking! Everybody says, that a plane crashed,” Twitter user Katya Grechannikova reported.
    >

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 February 2013, 23:37.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Media here says 400+ injured mainly by flying glass. RT says 500. Either way this is a major incident as injuries of any kind from meteorites are exceedingly rare, but when they do happen big ones could cause bunches.

Whatever, something a bit larger than this hitting a densly populated area could cause much more than glass cuts. Maybe this will get interest restarted in an international space-watch / meteor interception system.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

A Belgian newspaper website has started a live report. They are mentioning at least 500 injured, most due to a partial collapse of a hospital, and .
      A guy from Pulkovo observatory has warned that another one is coming in a few hours.

This is a very big issue, and indeed may get interest started in international efforts to predict this. These appears to be just small ones, with quite an impact.

There are suggestions this is connected to the asteroid 2012 DA14, that is said to have its close flyby later.

Just curious: what is it with Siberia and space bodies? They also had the Tunguska-event in 1908...
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

European Russia & Siberia covers 11 time zones, much of the circumference of the northern hemisphere, so it's odds are higher than a narrower continent like North America that only covers a few time zones.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I find it very hard to believe that any existing abm system could hit a meteor in the atmosphere at their typical closing speed.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Russian military denies having shot it... Probably some rumour that got started as people heard explosions (and the fact that it broke up into multiple parts).
            pixar

Comment

For a ballistic body it's not necessarily the speed of the missile but the radars and the terminal guidance system. The US Aegis SM-3 can hit an orbiting satellite over 100 miles up going 17,500 mph with the right software load.

It's also easier if the interceptor has a high explosive fragmentation proximity warhead, which is likely what Russian interceptors use. OTOH, SM-3 has no explosives - it kills by impact alone. They use a shotgun vs our rifle, but both can kill high velocity incoming ballistic targets.

We also have advanced interceptors that are ground based; PAC-3 & THAAD (terminal defense) & GMD (midcourse kinetic interceptor), and Aegis Ashore (ground based SM-3) goes into advanced tests next year.

India and Israel also have similar capabilities to SM-3, but at lower altitudes.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 February 2013, 08:41.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

But where would they come up with a software load that could hit something coming in at an odd angle going 30,000 mph?

And anyway, what would a warhead designed to disable a fragile structure do to a lump of metal or rock?
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well, the rock is already undergoing huge forces. I guess the sudden shockwave of a warhead might be enough to cause the rock to break up.
                  pixar

Comment

Hmmm.... Well maybe. I remain very skeptical.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

In order to hit it with an abm they'd have to detect it while it was still far enough away (@30,000mph!) to plot its trajectory and get a positive weapons lock and THEN be fortunate enough to have a ground (or aerial) interceptor in just the right location to launch at just the right moment to reach this thing. Even the cold-war-era communists weren't that good!

Comment

There were reports that it smelled like gunpowder, which indicates a carbonaceous chondrite. They are fragile and much lighter than iron or stony meteorites, and that also means they decelerate faster when they hit the atmosphere.

My guess is that if it was hit (TBD) it was a low mass c. chondrite, allowing it to slow enough to by the yime it was in the low atmosphere to let the Rissian radars lock on. Remember that BMD's in ASAT mode can, and have, hit satellites.
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 February 2013, 08:59.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Maybe, but lock-on and hit are two entirely different propositions.

BTW: How common is it for Russians to have video cameras running in their cars?
                          There are just a MASSIVE number of Russian car camera videos in youtube.
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I asked that of a Russian rocketeer on one of the space/astronomy forums and he said it's rather common. Apparently there are so many bad drivers proving fault is useful in their traffic courts. It's actually not that hard to set up as tiny full-frame 30fps spycams with dash mounts can be bought on Ebay for <$50, and some for <$20. I picked up one of these for $12 -

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 February 2013, 09:16.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I was thinking that the vast USSR, or whatever it's called now. is a meteor magnet.

Comment

Working...
                              X