X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83 Percent of Radiologists Didn’t Spot the Gorilla Hiding in This CT Scan

hard to believe ...

http://gizmodo.com/5983886/83-percen...n-this-ct-scan

"Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Interesting!
    What can we learn from the experiment? Well, the point isn't to admonish radiologists. Rather, the test was designed to investigate whether being highly trained made people less susceptible to the phenomenon of change blindness. Clearly, it doesn't.
    The gizmodo article is wrong that it mentions "change blindness", because this is not "change blindness" but "attention blindness".
    Change blindness occurs when we don't notice small changes to an image due to bigger changes happening (e.g. image flash between the changes).

Still, I hope my CT scan never shows up a gorilla....
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Trained radiologists / radiographers etc. tend not to look for or see zoo animals in the imagery they review - or in clouds. Laser focus, they have.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

That was my thought too.
        Had it been a copyright notice, or any other human made artifact, the mind just passes by the thing that does not pertain to the problem at hand.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I forgot the exact percentages in the experiment I'll describe. I read about it in a book "Ich weiss was du denkst" (I know what you think in German).

They asked people whether they consider themselves lucky or unlucky. Then all people were given a newspaper and asked to count number of pictures in it. In the middle there was an add saying "Those who inform the leader of experiment about this add will be given 100GBP."

Most people who considered themselves lucky noticed the add while most unlucky-ones didn't.

Comment

... and the postal service doesn't look at the street address anymore, I call it inept blindness.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X