• Show
Clear All

• Got AGP rig, what to do with it

Hello. So I got a computer with dead videocard with following specs:
    - Asus K8V 2 DDR slots, AGP
    - Sempron 2800+ S754 1600MHz 64-bit
    - 512MB DDR
    - crappy case and PSU

I'm tempted to do something with it since I have both the G400 DH and Parhelia

Options are:

- get another videocard and donate it to someone (I won't donate my Matrox collection)

- rebuild it with one of the Matrox cards - I have 2 17" LCD which are not in use presently. Also what OS would I use here

Got another idea - test Wordpress server.

Comment

Can it not do Rosetta?

Comment

Toss a cheap vid card in it and donate it to a school or something.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin View Post
          Toss a cheap vid card in it and donate it to a school or something.
          Was going to be my suggestion. Doubly good idea if you can get a tax write off for it.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I can only get tax write-offs on my business for equipment acquired through business. I'll ask a friend who has loads of hardware if he can spare an AGP card.

Otherwise this was given to me by someone who does a lot of writing. Before he had 2 laptops and a desktop. One very old laptop for playing music, one laptop for writing and used desktop for research (dictionaries, websites)

Once desktop died I suggested him 2-3 displays connected to single computer instead of 3 computers or new computer (R60 with dual core and Win7 is more than adequate for writing). I'm waiting for the docking station that can take PCIe videocard. Then it will be dual 24" IPS screens + laptop screen, I'll post pics.

Comment

Some options:
              Media renderer
              - video: if the videocard is too slow (eg Parhelia had problems with full hd playback on my rig), there are cpu optimized decoders (I think MainConcept is one example)
              - audio: streaming audio, music playback
              Server
              - file server as backup (duplicate data)
              - music library (e.g. ps3mediaserver, ...)
              Safe browsing /download environment on additional monitor
              - use Synergy (http://synergy-foss.org/ ) to share keyboard/mouse from main computer
              - install linux on the agp rig just for browsing and other internet things (if you already have 2 monitors on your desk, connecting it to the second input of your secondary monitor allows easy switching)
              Use as additional monitor
              - using ZoneOS, you can set any networked device for which a VNC client exists as a monitor: http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm
              Terminal
              - configure a Windows 7 / xp / ... to enable multiple simultaneous users (google for terminal server hack), use this rig as client
              Game computer
              - old games / mame
              Android x86 client
              - no idea, but may run fast or be interesting to experiment with
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I got two 500GB drives for it and it's going to be a Wordpress test environment.

The graphic card will be G400. Maybe I can attach two monitors and dualhead console will look like from Matrix movie

OS will most likely be CentOS.

Comment

Working...
                X