Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half Life / Portal (JJ Abrams. & Valve in talks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half Life / Portal (JJ Abrams. & Valve in talks)

Could J.J. Abrams Bring Half-Life and Portal to the Screen?

Feature film versions of Valve's Half-Life and Portal video games may be on the way in the not-too-distant future. Polygon reports that Valve's managing director Gabe Newell joined filmmaker J.J. Abrams on stage at today's DICE Summit and the pair hinted that a creative team-up is underway.

"There's an idea we have for a game that we'd like to work with Valve on," said Abrams.

"We're super excited about that," Newell responded, "and we also want to talk about making movies, either a 'Portal' movie or a 'Half-Life' movie... What we are actually doing here, we are recapitulating a series of conversations going on. We reached the point that we decided to do more than talk."

The first Half-Life game was released in 1998 and follows a theoretical physicist, Gordon Freeman, who opens a dimensional rift between a New Mexico research facility and a world of monsters called Xen.

Portal, meanwhile, is a spinoff of Half-Life released in 2007. In it, a test subject named Chell is forced to navigate a rival research company's laboratories armed with a device that can open portals through space. The game was the subject of a 2011 short fan film by Dan Trachtenberg (now set to direct New Line Cinema's Y: The Last Man) that you watch by clicking here.

Although plans for big screen versions of either game are still nascent, check back for details as soon as they become available.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

i can see HalfLife as a movie, but Portal?

and i hate to admit, but visualwise this would work

"Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Actually, Portal might work...
      First how the research lab came to be, then the demise of it (ie how glados takes over, and starts using people as guinnee pigs)... Then the escape (the game)... Perhaps with some other survivors hiding in the complex... And this combined with nice scenery and visual effects.... Films have been made with less story.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Doesn't Abrams know there is no such thing as a good video game movie?
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
          Doesn't Abrams know there is no such thing as a good video game movie?
          What about Tomb Raider?

/ducks
          FT.

Comment

A new TR comes out March 5th, this time an origin story, so can a film reboot be far behind?
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X