Assigning IRQ's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigning IRQ's

A friend of mine is having problems with the way IRQ's are being assigned on his new machine. He is currently building a PIII 700 mhz system on an ABIT BE6-2 mobo, a 3D Propet GeForce vid card, and an CL Soundblaster Live-Value. The problem he's having is that GeForce Vid keeps taking IRQ 5, while the CL and emulator are taking 10 & 9 respectively.

I thought it was supposed to be the other way around so that the vid card gets higher priority. It seems that even if the vid card is the only thing in the machine, it gets assigned to IRQ 5. Is there anyway that fix it.
    PIII 500
    Abit BE6-II v.2
    384 PC133
    IBM 13.5GB ATA/66
    G400Max
    SB Live! X-gamer
    3Com Game modem
    Pioneer 10X DVD
    Viewsonic PS790-2 19"
    Linksys NIC

I'm not as familiar with the Abit BIOS as I am with some others, but Award BIOS's tend to be pretty similar.

You'll probably want to disable the PNP OS option and switch the automatic IRQ assignment options from auto to manual. This will most likely will expose the part of the menu that will permit you to switch his IRQ's from PCI to ISA. There may also be an option to switch the Slot 1 IRQ to 9. Typically, Slot 1 shares an IRQ with with the AGP slot.

After disabling the automatic features, there should be a fairly recognizable way to force IRQ 5 to ISA only. After setting IRQ 5 to ISA and rebooting, the BIOS *should* knock his GeForce off IRQ 5, and Soundblaster emulation, which I believe is entirely 16-bit and DOS-based, should move to IRQ 5. Hopefully, the GeForce will land on the now empty IRQ 9.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Set the IRQ for PCI Slot 1 from AUTO to IRQ 11,

Place the SBLive! Value into slot 3, and set IRQ to 9 or 10, set IRQ 5 to Legacy/ISA...

That will set the AGP to IRQ 11, and the SBLive to 9 or 10, and leave IRQ5 for the SB16 emulation (for those that don't disable it that is)

Guyv
      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
      - 6.1 Digital Audio
      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
      - LS120 IDE Floppy
      - Zip 100 IDE
      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
      - NEC FE950
      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

I'm sure you're right, paulcs-- I have an additional idea though, since it sounds as if they are doing this over and over within the same install of Windows...[list=1][*] Change the video card to VGA.[*] Boot into Safe Mode and remove all video cards except VGA, and also all parts of the SB.[*] Reboot, and go into BIOS to hard-code the IRQs as paulcs said.[*] When you get back into Windows, install the SB (since you're still in VGA, Windows should not ask you to install the GeForce). Also make sure your monitor is set correctly (not as "Plug and Play Monitor"). [*] When you reboot from installing the SB, check and make sure SB emulation has taken up IRQ5 as it should. <u>Then</u> install the GeForce.[/list=a]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that should solve possible secondary problems.

---------------------
        Holly

Ooops, sorry Guyver... you posted while I was in the reply screen, so I didn't see it... not trying to 'dis you or anything

H.

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 20 March 2000).]

Comment

NP Holly... No dis taken... Good suggestions as well.

Guyv
          Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
          - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
          - 6.1 Digital Audio
          - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
          - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
          - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
          - LS120 IDE Floppy
          - Zip 100 IDE
          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
          - NEC FE950
          - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Working...
          X