Florida proposes commercial spaceport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida proposes commercial spaceport

Primary target: luring SpaceX away from building its spaceport at Boca Chica beach near Brownsville, Texas. Boeing, Lockheed, their ULA joint venture, Orbital Sciences too.

The state proposes a commercial launch facility at the site of the former community of Shiloh.

The state is pressing forward with studies related to the commercial launch complex it has proposed establishing at the north end of Kennedy Space Center, while awaiting word on whether NASA will make the property available.

Space Florida recently asked interested companies to describe launch and recovery operations they might pursue at the proposed “Shiloh” complex, named for the citrus community located there before NASA seized the land to support Apollo program moon missions. That information will inform environmental studies of impacts to roughly 150 acres that fall within the Merritt Island Wildlife National Refuge near the the Brevard-Volusia county line. “We’ll initiate our environmental assessments around the kind of operating launch profiles, the concepts of operations that we receive back from industry,” Space Florida President Frank DiBello said.

The state requested title to the land from NASA last September, citing market demand for a launch complex that operated near but independently from existing Cape facilities controlled by NASA and the Air Force’s Eastern Range. SpaceX is known to be pursuing such a site in locations across the country, including Texas and Georgia.

NASA has said it is reviewing the proposal.

The state’s request for information, released Dec. 14, adds some detail to what has previously been outlined about the Shiloh site, including:

• It is expected to house launch and processing facilities “for one, and potentially two, commercial launch providers operating dedicated pad areas independently.”

• The complex would serve “existing and emerging” rockets with only liquid-fueled primary boosters, in the class of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 or Falcon Heavy; United Launch Alliance’s Atlas V, Delta IV and Delta IV Heavy; and Orbital Sciences Corp.’s Antares.

• The requested 150 acres are still undefined and may not be contiguous to accommodate sensitive wildlife or cultural resources.

• The state may secure about 75 acres for an initial operator and reserve a similar amount for a potential future development by a second operator.

• According to a map, the “proposed site evaluation area” straddles the county line west of State Road 3.

In responses due Jan. 23, companies were asked to include information about their plans for rockets, facilities, flight paths, flight rates and any booster recovery operations envisioned at the site. Environmental assessments could begin in the first quarter of this year, concurrent with NASA’s deliberation about the property, and take 12 to 18 months.

Overall, DiBello said early dialogue with environmental, political and aerospace stakesholders has been encouraging.

The state thinks commercial and natural interests can be satisfied “with a very, very small fraction of the property that’s up there, and without disturbing in any major way the environmental sanctity that’s appropriate to the area,” he said.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 January 2013, 19:06.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Unfortunately, a large part of the area you indicate includes part of the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, run by the Wildlife and Fisheries services. This is a unique salt-water, brackish and fresh water wetland biotope, home to thousands of large birds and other beasts, including manatees and the highly endangered Florida Panther, not to mention vegetation. From the PoV of naturalists and ornithologists, it is more important than the Everglades and NASA, who owns the land, have always respected this character. I can hope only that this is preserved.

In any case, it is mighty close to Scottsmoor developments and I couldn't imagine the people there would like the noise. I have witnessed first stage liquid fuel rocket testing (Blue Streak) at Spadeadam from 2-3 km away and the noise is deafening.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

The Falcon 9 v1.1 will put out >10x the thrust of the Blue Streak, and the Falcon Heavy more than 3x as much as the v1.1, and both will launch from KSC's LC-40 as well so it's going to get noisy down there. Until the NASA Space Launch System (SLS) flies Falcon Heavy will be the largest capacity rocket in the world - and then the diffrrence won 't be much and FH will fly a lot more often.

As for disturbance, the noise is not that often and IMO less of a problem than the chlorine compounds, and unused ammonium perchlorate oxidizer, in the exhaust of the solids used by the shuttle and soon by SLS. Nasty stuff.

OTOH, the Falcons burn rocket grade kerosene (RP-1) now, but SpaceX is in the middst of a program to switch over to a new engine family that burns a mostly methane fuel.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 January 2013, 01:34.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The noise may not be much greater than Blue Streak. I visited the Spadeadam site several times 1957 - 1963 as my then employers had a project with de Havilland. I witnessed 3 test firings, 2 from outside and 1 from inside the control bunker, about 150 m from the pad, with a periscopic panorama. The whole soundproofed bunker shook like hell!

The Rolls-Royce engineers were worried about the noise which used up a lot of energy which could otherwise be used to increase the thrust. They experimented with various gimbal-mounted nozzle designs to try to get max thrust and min noise (no computer modelling then!). I don't know, but modern designs may have much better thrust:noise ratios and it could be that they are little or no noisier than what I saw and heard.

You did not comment on the much more important point of the Wildlife Refuge, which I have also visited when I was working with Morton-Thiokol at the Cape on the post-Challenger booster joints. I applied for a patent for a device to help them in their facility in Utah, but I let it lapse into the Public Domain after having established the prior art, so that no one else could patent it. NASA did quite some research into the effects of various launch vehicles on the wildlife in the Refuge and found them remarkably small. Most of the birds did not react to the noise, although some reptiles didn't like it. Chemically, the NOx fallout was worse than the chloride ions, but aluminium oxide fell as a fine dust, none of them likely to compromise the creatures' well-being.
        Last edited by Brian Ellis; 3 January 2013, 06:21.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

The perchlorate oxidizer causes a rather acidic cloud which does damage the surrounding plant life and even corrodes materials on the pad if not flushed right away, and the unburned stuff (from use and manufacture) has just been flagged by EPA as a ground water contaminant, and the agency is drafting regulations.

Noise: the modern pads use water injected into the exhaust plume to dampen the acoustics, but even so the F9 1.0 rocks the whole area. When they first did a full 9 engine F9 burn in McGregor Tx. buildings 4+ miles away were rattled, lost windows, etc. F9 v1.1 is 45% more powerful.

FH is getting an underground test stand in McGregor that'll use ~500,000 gallons of water in 90 seconds and hopefully minimize its effect on the area. Similar tanks will be installed at Vandenberg, KSC and where ever they build their new space facilities (Brownsville, Florida or Puerto Rico are in the lead.)

I can imagine what FH, SLS and the new ultra-booster for SpaceX's MCT project will be like - 150 to 200 mT to LEO? Sheesh....
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 January 2013, 06:57.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
          X