Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impervia antivirus effectiveness report

Executive Summary

In 2012, Imperva, with a group of students from The Technion – Israeli Institute of Technology, conducted a study of more than 80 malware samples to assess the effectiveness of antivirus software. Based on our review, we believe:

1. The initial detection rate of a newly created virus is less than 5%. Although vendors try to update their detection mechanisms, the initial detection rate of new viruses is nearly zero. We believe that the majority of antivirus products on the market can’t keep up with the rate of virus propagation on the Internet.

2. For certain antivirus vendors, it may take up to four weeks to detect a new virus from the time of the initial scan.

3. The vendors with the best detection capabilities include those with free antivirus packages, Avast and Emsisoft, though they do have a high false positive rate.

These findings have several ramifications:

1. Enterprises and consumers spend on antivirus is not proportional to its effectiveness. In 2011, Gartner reported that consumers spent $4.5 billion on antivirus, while enterprises spent $2.9 billion, a total of $7.4 billion. This represents more than a third of the total of $17.7 billion spent on security software. We believe both consumers and enterprises should look into freeware as well as new security models for protection.

2. Compliance mandates requiring antivirus should ease up on this obligation. One reason why security budgets devote too much money to antivirus is compliance. Easing the need for AV could free up money for more effective security measures.

3. Security teams should focus more on identifying aberrant behavior to detect infection. Though we don’t recommend removing antivirus altogether, a bigger portion of the security focus should leverage technologies that detect abnormal behavior such as unusually fast access speeds or large volume of downloads.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

which shows you that to avoid infection, you cannot rely on anti-virus.

Instead, rely on some simple security practices:
    - browse only with a secure browser (Google Chrome) or insecure but non-mainstream browser (Opera), rather than insecure and mainstream browsers (MSIE and Firefox)
    - don't install Oracle Java unless you ABSOLUTELY NEED IT
    - even if you need it, disable java browser plugins on all browsers except the single browser instance you need it on
    - use that browser instance ONLY for connecting to the trusted page which requires java
    - don't enable Adobe flash on any browser other than Google Chrome (as it runs Flash in a sandbox)
    - disable Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF) plugins on all browsers
    - use a different reader than Acrobat Reader if possible
    - Don't execute files that 'pop up' in your browser (drive-by downloading), unless you absolutely know what you're downloading.
    - NEVER USE USB KEYS that will be plugged into computers that you do not own or manage yourself. Resort to transferring files through the internet and scanning them with anti-virus/malware tools before opening them.
    - don't give all users of a computer admin rights. If one user installs something really bad, at least the results will be limited to that user's profile.

Using above measures, I have avoided malware/adware/spyware/virusses/worms for over 10 years now.

Comment

playing it smart safe here. resulted in one singular infection in over 30 years. knock on wood
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I use AVG-free since about 3 years or so, never had a warning. Before that I was unprotected. I guess safe surfing does help. Never had a problem.

On the other hand, both my youngest kids have had malware _once_ (only ever gave them AVG free as well), some fake anti-virus program, funnoobs (?!) and something called akaQA I think. Not a bad score for kids with so little protection methinks.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

At work, I'm limited what I can use...

At home, I run all software that communicates with internet in sandboxes (using Symantec SVS). It requires a bit of managing, as the sandboxes can only reside on drive C, and if poorly configured can grow to very big sizes. But it allows for a quick reconfiguration / reinstall and protection.
          Usually, I also use 2 different browsers: one for everyday browsing, one with special configurations (e.g. to connect to an application server).

Currently still using Firefox, but am thinking of changing: it is not as good as it used to be... Not a big fan of Chrome though...
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
          X