My Surface RT review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Surface RT review

Time for the full Surface review. All my likes and dislikes. I don't doubt there's a little bias in here from workplace pride, but it is my honest opinion.

Hardware

The hardware which makes up the Surface is amazing. My kids have sat on it, stepped on it, dropped it, abused it, and fought over it, and the Surface doesn't even have a scratch on it. That includes the keyboard cover. Both are extremely well constructed. The suit, Steven Sinofsky, responsible for the Surface glued wheels to one and used it as a skateboard, and given the amount of abuse mine has gone through I don't think the skateboard Surface was an exaggeration of it's durability.

Gorilla Glass 2 and a chassis forged from magnesium lend Microsoft's Surface slates some durability, but the firm's decided to prove just how tough its tablets are by turning one into a skateboard. The wheeled slice of Windows 8 is said to have been rolled out during a tour of Redmond's Surface skunkworks, but Windows chief Steven Sinofksy couldn't resist hopping on the board today and tweeting a pair of photos. You can pre-order your deck now, though something tells us this mod isn't covered under Ballmer and Co.'s warranty.

Looks wise I am also impressed. The design is sleek and contemporary, and not a complete iPad rip-off. The kickstand is handy too. It doesn't work well when your doing lap reading or the like, but if your reading or playing Mah Jong during lunch, or typing at the doctor's office, it's very handy. Like the the rest of the Surface, the kickstand is sturdy and does not feel flimsy at all.

The touchscreen is responsive. While the resolution is not what I, or anyone else, really wanted, the screen is sharp and you don't notice any pixelation unless you have the screen close to your face. Battery life is great as well. It can go a day or two of heavy use and not need to be recharged. Videos and games will drain it faster but you get a lot of hours of battery playtime.

The only blemishes of the hardware are the keyboard cover and the camera. The keyboard works well, don't get me wrong, but it takes some getting used to. There's no physical response while typing, unless you get the Type cover which I don't have, so it's like typing on a table top. You really need to keep your eyes on the screen when you first start using it because you miss keys. After using it for a while it's less of a problem, but you have to stick with it for while before it's comfortable. Also, using the keyboard on your lap doesn't work well. You really need a hard surface. Fortunately the virtual keyboards, there are two options, are well done and are very usable when the keyboard cover is not possible.

The camera is great...as long as you have a lot of light. It's low-light performance is horrid. If you have natural light, or a lot of indoor light, then it's fine. The front-facing camera seems to work a little better in office lighting, probably because it's used for Skype and whatnot. I think Microsoft should hire Nokia to design the next Surface camera.

Windows RT

When you use an iPad or Android tablet it feels like, to me, that you're using a dumbed down OS. You basically have an app launcher with limited capabilities beyond what is exposed in settings...unless you hack/jailbreak the living daylights out of it. So it came as kind of a shock when I starting playing with the Surface RT and it hit me that Windows RT is a full blown Windows OS. Every OS capability in Windows 8 you can do in Windows RT, from the Control Panel, to PowerShell, to the Command Prompt. You can run scripts, set tasks, remote into other computers, open Device Manager and tweak your hardware. It's all there. Well, almost everything... it's like Windows 8 and not Windows 8 Pro. It is Windows, though, not a dumbed down version. For some reason I didn't expect it to be... complete, but once you start using WinRT it dawns on you that this isn't a dumbed down experience. This can be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint, but personally I really like this approach.

While it is a full blown Windows OS, there are limitations. Foremost among those are the programs. Because the Surface RT runs on the ARM processor, and not the Intel x86, you are limited to the Windows Marketplace for your programs. The games look just as good on any other platform, the videos just as smooth, but since Windows RT is a new platform there are not as many apps out for it yet. The apps are increasing quickly though. I think there were 20k at launch and 2 months later there is something like 75k. They are getting there, and maturing quickly, but it will be a while longer before the Windows logo will show up on TV when people advertise their apps. That's not to say the pickings are slim. Many of the big name apps are already available.

The gestures have a learning curve. It's not like the other tablet OSs out there with the "chiclet tab" app launcher style. You switch between open apps by sliding from left to right (off screen to on). This is very handy when you're switching between tasks. Stopping at the edge of the screen pulls up all running programs. This takes a little practice to master. Very useful when you have a large number of apps open and don't want to flip through everything. You can also have two apps showing at once, one is ~75% of the screen, the other takes up the rest, which is really nice. You can have the desktop w/ Word open in the main view with your music player cracked open in the small view. Or the Wikipedia app opening in the small while typing in Word on the main. If you've seen some of the Galaxy III and Note II commercials it's similar to that, but with more real estate to it.

Swipe from right to left (off screen to on) and you get the "charms". Charms are the grand central station of Windows RT/8. The search function can search through everything in the OS that is search integrated, the store, files, programs, settings, applications, etc. No need to open the store app first to search for something, just swipe open the charms, select the store from the list, and enter your search terms. The search charm will open the store and do the search. The share charm allows you to ... well... share things between apps. Like sharing photos to flickr or facebook, that kind of stuff. Haven't used this feature a lot yet. Next is the start button, takes you home. Then devices, which is where your plugged in cameras and phones and such show up (yay USB port!). And last is settings, where you power on/off, reboot, and adjust your other settings. This is a little split brain though. The "metro" settings are all through the settings charm, while the core OS settings are still through the Control Panel on the desktop. So half familiar and half new.

The tiles on the home screen are also customizable. This, I think, takes the most to learn. You "tug" on an app to bring up the options (like a right click on the Win8 version). Or pull it down to move it. The idea is you can move tiles around into groups of your choosing. Once you've made your groups you can name them for quicker reference. You do this by doing the pinch zoom out thingy (really technical, I know), then tug down on a group and the name option comes up. You really have to play with this to learn it. It works well once you figure it all out, though. My kids know where all the games are which means less nagging Daddy about where "Where's My Perry" is at.

All is not perfect yet though. I've run into some issues on Windows RT. Choppy video playback fixed by a reboot. Some people have complained about wifi drops, but it seems most of those issues have been fixed with recent updates (haven't had any myself). I've gotten the frowny of doom once (the new blue screen). Mah Jong will occasionally crash. Some other small stuff like that. The issues are getting fewer and fewer though. With the exception of Mah Jong randomly crashing after a puzzle is completed I haven't had any other troubles in the past week. I don't think all the growing pains are done, but it's maturing quickly.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Part 2

Price and misc

I'm still not convinced that $500 for the Surface RT and $600 for the Surface + keyboard cover is the right price. I think $500 for the Surface and cover would be perfect. This is my biggest pet peeve. Rumors are swirling that a smaller, cheaper Surface will hit sometime in 2013, as well as a total redesign of the Surface line. I don't know anything beyond a couple or rumor leaks on the Internet, but no doubt the Surface Pro 2 will be Haswell based and the next Surface RT will be Tegra 4 or Qualcom based.

Office 2013 RT, which is no longer in preview, is just like Office 2013. It's missing Macro's, and a few other pieces that the ARM processors aren't good at handling, but for your regular Office suite purposes it looks, feels and works like just like ... Office. If you haven't used Office 2013 yet there is a lot of cloud storage integration built in, specifically around SkyDrive, so you can open and edit docs that are stored online as well as locally. I'm sure connectors for Google Drive, Dropbox and the others are possible, and possibly forthcoming, too.

The touch experience is refined as well. The UI formerly known as metro does a great job here. Navigating the desktop can be a little frustrating with touch and large fingers (like me) but most of the icons are oversized for touch and it's not difficult. You spend most of your time in the metro part on the tablet anyway. Or at least I do. And more time on the desktop part in Win8 on my desktops. I can see why the split brain was kept, but on the tablet side the brain needs to shift more Metro, and less-metro on the desktop side. We shall see what Windows "Blue" (the 2013 update to Win8) brings to the table soon enough.

Overall impression

Overall I really like the Surface RT, and not just because I work for Microsoft. I think it has all the up front simplicity of the other tablet operating systems with more capabilities and the depth of a full blown OS...without the need to hack/jailbreak it to get there. It's not perfect, and still has a lot of maturing to do, but I think it will do well enough to continually attract the right devs and customers to make it successful. I think it will end up being a sleeper hit, like Android was, rather than a break out success like the iPad, but it will get there. All the right components are there.

Let me know if any of you have specific questions I didn't answer.

Comment

Hi Jamm

Interested to read this. Thanks for taking the time.

I have recently been up the Win8 learning curve for two reasons:

1. Two new laptops needed for colleagues. I decided to get them Dell 3360's with Win 8 Pro, knowing full well I can 'downgrade' to Win 7 Pro if there are any insurmountable hurdles.

2. My parents needed something they can take abroad in hand luggage that, apart from the usual web stuff via a 3G dongle, will allow them to connect their printer and produce boarding passes for the return journey.

I came to the conclusion that the only sensible option for connecting printers and 3G dongles was a compact laptop. I settled on the Asus Vivobook S200, which is 11.6", touch screen, Win 8 Pro, 1.4Kg and a very affordable £399.

So far I have found using the Asus with a touchscreen far more usable than the Dell without a touchscreen, but in both cases the lack of a Start button on the desktop is still extremely frustrating.

I am looking forward to testing Win 8 in the corporate environment at work.

Cheers,

Tony.
      Last edited by Fat Tone; 31 December 2012, 11:18.
      FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
        Time for the full Surface review. All my likes and dislikes. I don't doubt there's a little bias in here from workplace pride, but it is my honest opinion.

Windows RT

When you use an iPad or Android tablet it feels like, to me, that you're using a dumbed down OS. You basically have an app launcher with limited capabilities beyond what is exposed in settings...unless you hack/jailbreak the living daylights out of it. So it came as kind of a shock when I starting playing with the Surface RT and it hit me that Windows RT is a full blown Windows OS. Every OS capability in Windows 8 you can do in Windows RT, from the Control Panel, to PowerShell, to the Command Prompt. You can run scripts, set tasks, remote into other computers, open Device Manager and tweak your hardware. It's all there. Well, almost everything... it's like Windows 8 and not Windows 8 Pro. It is Windows, though, not a dumbed down version. For some reason I didn't expect it to be... complete, but once you start using WinRT it dawns on you that this isn't a dumbed down experience. This can be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint, but personally I really like this approach.

While it is a full blown Windows OS, there are limitations. Foremost among those are the programs. Because the Surface RT runs on the ARM processor, and not the Intel x86, you are limited to the Windows Marketplace for your programs. The games look just as good on any other platform, the videos just as smooth, but since Windows RT is a new platform there are not as many apps out for it yet. The apps are increasing quickly though. I think there were 20k at launch and 2 months later there is something like 75k. They are getting there, and maturing quickly, but it will be a while longer before the Windows logo will show up on TV when people advertise their apps. That's not to say the pickings are slim. Many of the big name apps are already available.
        I'm curious how you came up with iOS and android being the crippled OS/HW combinations... I'd rather present the same comparison as iOS/Windows RT vs. Android:
        - iOS and Windows 8 both don't allow app side-loading (i.e. you're forced to use the walled garden approach, basically first asking Microsoft or Apple permission to run something on your own device).
        - neither MS nor Apple is happy about allowing other OS on their devices.
        vs. Android which...
        - allows you to side-load apps
        - has many Android devices have an unlocked bootloader, allowing you to tinker with them as the nerd in us wants to do (I'm looking into getting a Asus Nexus 7 with the possibility of running Ubuntu on it in future).

And a tech question:
        - how does Win RT integrate into the whole BYOD picture? In other words, how on earth is it going to be managed in a corporate environment? Is MS offloading this to third parties such as Centrify's DirectControl? (and I haven't heard anything about Centrify DirectControl for WinRT yet)
        Last edited by dZeus; 31 December 2012, 13:59.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
          I'm curious how you came up with iOS and android being the crippled OS/HW combinations...
          Dumbed down was the term I used. Crippled implies something else...at least to me. The hardware is certainly not dumbed down. Apple and several Android makers have great hardware.

As for why I say they are dumbed down, it primary has to do with the tablet OS emulating the phone, instead of the tablet emulating the desktop/laptop. Just my opinion based on the devices I've used.

This is understandable considering the level of success droid and Apple have in the phone space compared to Microsoft's success, which is in the desktop/laptop space. So with a Surface you get the feeling that you are on a laptop with a traditional OS and fine grain controls, while the other two feel like you're on a giant phone with limited capabilities.

Android is changing a lot into more of what I would call a full OS experience. Android does allow some fine grain controls, I am aware, but you have to root it first and load a terminal app, or remote terminal to it. Not difficult these days, admittedly. I don't think the carrier load on my Galaxy S lasted more than 48 hours.

Just my personal interpretation based on the devices I've used.

I'd rather present the same comparison as iOS/Windows RT vs. Android:
          - iOS and Windows 8 both don't allow app side-loading (i.e. you're forced to use the walled garden approach, basically first asking Microsoft or Apple permission to run something on your own device).
          - allows you to side-load apps
          Partially true. To sell official, logoed apps for WinRT you have to go through the walled garden. Just like to officially sell apps for Android or iOS you have to go through the walled garden. Google is more lenient in this space since you can check a box and load whatever you want, and they tolerate competition from likes of Amazon. While for iOS you have to jailbreak the device to side-load, and Apple hates that.

However, WinRT is not totally locked down like iOS, and not as potentially open as Android. If Microsoft did this it would be suicide in the Enterprise space. It's more somewhere in between. In PowerShell there is a cmdlet called "Add-AppxPackage" that can be used to install a "metro" application. There are also ways to use the Win32 APIs and run EXE's compiled for ARM (though not officially I believe, people have found ways to do this).

You can create the application in any normal way. In order to load it, however, it must be signed by a trusted source. That source does NOT have to be Microsoft. Enterprises, devs, whoever, can install any appx they want as long as WinRT trusts the source, and the application is properly signed. To trust the source you have the have a code cert to sign the app, and the cert chain has to be trusted in WinRT...which you can use the MMC or certutil to do.

So not a complete walled garden, but not entirely open. I consider it a trusted computing platform. The articles I've read say the major reason for the walled garden has to do with quality control and battery life. They don't want poorly made apps to cheapen the experience by bogging down resources and killing battery life.

- neither MS nor Apple is happy about allowing other OS on their devices.
          vs. Android which...
          - has many Android devices have an unlocked bootloader, allowing you to tinker with them as the nerd in us wants to do (I'm looking into getting a Asus Nexus 7 with the possibility of running Ubuntu on it in future).
          Personally, I'm a little miffed about this one. I understand the reason for secure boot as a security measure, but not being able to disable it is very obnoxious. I wish I kept this article, it was on /. I think, but it basically stated that as operating systems become more secure, and difficult to hack, the hardware is the next logical step for hackers to use as an intrusion point. Secure boot helps prevent this...in a very obnoxious way.

I can also understand this in a business sense. The OS license can be sold cheaper if the maker can expect a certain level of revenue from app sales and advertising. Allowing competitor operating systems hurts the all powerful bottom line.

Android devices are capable of locking the bootloader, and doing it well, but everyone who tries to lock the bootloader either gets hacked or boycotted because it is expected in the Android space that you can load a custom ROM. I know Motorola and HTC has tried locking the bootloader several times and sales have been hurt because of it.

And a tech question:
          - how does Win RT integrate into the whole BYOD picture? In other words, how on earth is it going to be managed in a corporate environment? Is MS offloading this to third parties such as Centrify's DirectControl? (and I haven't heard anything about Centrify DirectControl for WinRT yet)
          The Microsoft product for Enterprise management for WinRT is called Intune.

Like phones, syncing a WinRT device with Exchange can be used to apply security templates to the device (like mandatory passwords, complexity, etc.). There are other Enterprise feature available. I haven't really dug into those yet.

Hit me with anymore questions if you got 'em.
          Last edited by Jammrock; 1 January 2013, 13:16.

Comment

Working...
          X