Overclocking a 550e, need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking a 550e, need some advice

I just got a 550e, the problem I have is when I try to raise the FSB to 133, I got registry error in windows. (not always, but most of the time). My system is relatively stable up to 130 FSB. My system specs are;

P3 550e
    Abit BF6
    128 Meg crucial PC133
    Matrox G400max
    SB Live
    Ethernet Card

My Agp is set to 2/3 (85 or so AGP bus)and AGP 1x
    PCI set to 1/4 (so 33.3 Mhz)
    I've tried to raise the voltage to 1.7, but still those registry error come under windows.
    The temperature of the processor is around 108 F when I use 133 FSB, but I've used a blowing fan which lowered the Temperature a bit, but same problem.
    My question here is , is it the limit of my processor, or do I have other things to try ?
    Heat problem ?? I'm using stock HS and fan.

Thanks for any input.

Athlon64 4800+
    Asus A8N deluxe
    2 gig munchkin ddr 500
    eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
    X-Fi Fatality
    HP w2207

Hi Jackzod,

Try setting your SDRAM cas latency to 3, and the SDRAM leadoff to 4.

Rags

Comment

Thanks, The Cas latency to 3 I've already tried but not the leadoff setting, I'll do it now and come back.
      Athlon64 4800+
      Asus A8N deluxe
      2 gig munchkin ddr 500
      eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
      X-Fi Fatality
      HP w2207

Comment

The Leadoff setting doesn't exist anymore !!!
        It's supposed to be under AGP aperture, but it's not there...I Have the latest BIOS flashed, so no luck this way...Any other input ?
        Athlon64 4800+
        Asus A8N deluxe
        2 gig munchkin ddr 500
        eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
        X-Fi Fatality
        HP w2207

Comment

It's still there, I am running the same board with the PL bios, which is the latest. It is under the CAS latency timing.

Rags

Comment

I assure you it's not there, BTW the PL Bios is for the BE6 (for what I've saw on Abit site, and I'm running BF6 with the latest Bios which is QJ Bios),Strange that this seting is in the manual but no more available, or I'm f***** blind...
            Athlon64 4800+
            Asus A8N deluxe
            2 gig munchkin ddr 500
            eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
            X-Fi Fatality
            HP w2207

Comment

D'OH!! I misread your post, I thought you said BE6....well, I just set up a BF6, and could have sworn it was there, too.

Comment

Lol it happens...
                But this setting is in the manual, but seems to have been remove since the first BIOS.
                Anyway, any other input is welcome.
                Athlon64 4800+
                Asus A8N deluxe
                2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                X-Fi Fatality
                HP w2207

Comment

Jackzod, I'm running a BF6 w/ 600E and an SBLIVE! card too. Have you updated the SBLIVE! drivers for P3 compatibility. I would get Blue Screens 'O Death on booting into WIN98 before updating the drivers. If you need the link, I can get it for you...

------------------
                  ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Comment

Well, you have your memory timings as low as they will go, and your PCI bus isn't overclocked, and I doubt your AGP would cause your errors. So, the only other things you can do are change your voltage (the coppermine is rated up to 1.85), or add some better cooling. My 550E goes up to 825 (150FSB).

Rags

Comment

To Manex, what are these drivers ? Nope I didn,t upgrade, the last upgrade for my SBLive was the LIvewire 3.0.
                      Give me the links please (but I guess they're on creative site, i'll take a look anyway.

To rags, what cooling are u using, I'm using stock fan and heatsink here. But I suspect other thing than heat since the problems begin at a 130 FSB, currently I'm at 129, no problem, AGP 2X (at 130 AGP had to 1X or everything is choppy as hell).
                      Athlon64 4800+
                      Asus A8N deluxe
                      2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                      eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                      X-Fi Fatality
                      HP w2207

Comment

It is a retail processor with the stock HSF.

Rags

Comment

Jackzod, Ooops! I went to the SBLIVE! web site to get the link and I noticed that it says these drivers fix problems for 600 MHz processors and above, among other things. If you have Live!Ware 3 then I don't know if you need to upgrade or not, but it couldn't hurt... Here's the link...

SBLive!Driver Update

Cheers!

------------------
                          ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

[This message has been edited by Manex (edited 10 March 2000).]
                          ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Comment

Rags you were right.
                            I flashed the previous BIOS for my BF6 (PO).
                            With that BIOS the option of SDRAM leadoff was possible, so I set it to 4. Since, I've been able to run my cpu with a 133 Mhz FSB (550@733) without problems, I've tried higher buses (138) but at 753 Mhz I've got all kind of error in windows. I think i hit the limit of my CPU. If anybody have other idea, feel free to respond.
                            Athlon64 4800+
                            Asus A8N deluxe
                            2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                            eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                            X-Fi Fatality
                            HP w2207

Comment

It may be a limitation of your chipset. The 440BX is only officially spec'd up to 100MHz. That would almost make sense that adjusting your ram timings would help you get all the way up to 133. That would be either the chipset or the ram.

Comment

Working...
                              X