RIP Gen. "Stormin' Norman" Schwarzkopf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Gen. "Stormin' Norman" Schwarzkopf

H. Norman Schwarzkopf, the general credited with leading U.S.-allied forces to a victory in the first Gulf War, has died at age 78.

H. Norman Schwarzkopf, Gulf War Commander, Dies at 78

H. Norman Schwarzkopf, the retired general credited with leading U.S.-allied forces to a victory in the first Gulf War, has died at age 78, a U.S. official confirmed to ABC News.

He died today in Tampa, Fla., where he lived in retirement, a U.S. official told the Associated Press.

Schwarzkopf, called "Stormin' Norman" because of his reportedly explosive temper, actually led Republican administrations to two military victories: a small one in Grenada in the 1980s and a big one as de facto commander of allied forces in the Gulf War in 1991.

"'Stormin' Norman' led the coalition forces to victory, ejecting the Iraqi Army from Kuwait and restoring the rightful government," read a statement by former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the Gulf War. "His leadership not only inspired his troops, but also inspired the nation."
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I had no idea he returned or stayed in Tampa to retire. I lived on MacDill AFB at the same time as he did before and during the Gulf War. In fact, I used to mow his yard (I was still quite young at this time) and had the pleasure to meet him on a couple occasions.

Saddens me that he is no longer with us.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I did not even know the US fought in the first Gulf War
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
      X