Roll your own phone network...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll your own phone network...

A Cambridge, U.K.-based consulting firm has managed to use the open source Raspberry Pi computer to replicate the functions normally performed by a 30-foot GSM cellular basestation to create a fully functional mobile network. Using two open source software programs, and a bit of off-the-shelf hardware kit DIY enthusiasts can get their hands on fairly easily, PA Consulting rolled their own mobile phone service.

Luke is getting a Raspberry Pi for Christmas...what a shame we don't have a giant faraday cage
    FT.

I wish I had enough clout to get a Windows Pi out to work with the Raspberry Pi. For free even. Alas, I am lonely grunt. I am still interested in getting a few Pi's for the kids.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Dunno what Michael Faraday would say, locked up in a cage Seriously, I don't think you would need one, as you would be using a GSM frequency with such low power that it would be lost in the noise level outside the walls of your house.

To develop a Nut Pi compatible with Windows, your first requirement would be to find the best patent attorney in the world!
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
        To develop a Nut Pi compatible with Windows, your first requirement would be to find the best patent attorney in the world!
        I work for Microsoft, so if I were to build a WinPi it would be with the approval of the suits. And they do have some of the best patent attorney's in the world so I guess that is covered. Just need to convince them they need to make a WinPi OS for free.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
        X