Plextor M5 Pro Encryption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plextor M5 Pro Encryption

So I got me a Plextor M5 Pro 512Gb SSD. So far so good. Hope I can do some SQL Server testing tomorrow (16Gb ram not yet arrived ). Anyroad, it was advertised with 256-bit AES encryption which is nice as Truecrypt and (wear-levelling) SSDs don't agree to well.

Question: How the **** do I turn that on? WHY the **** is the no manual on the CD (which was not in the package) nor downloadable?

Sry for rant but If I do that on the Plextor site I fear they may ban me forever...
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

is there a box in the driver properties to chk ?

Comment

Nope. Someone tells me it's supposed to be done via the BIOS HDD PW. AFAIK, that is a rather shitty protection however and I do not see how that would activate AES encryption of the drive at all.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The drive is encrypted out of the box. There is nothing you need to do to enable it. Protecting the BIOS prevents people from going in and changing the encryption key which renders your data useless.

Changing the drive encryption key is honestly the only real way to securely erase data from an SSD. If your BIOS/UEFI doesn't have a secure erase option there are tools that can do this.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

So taking out the SSD and put in in my desktop won't allow me to read the SSD?

Comment

You can move the drive between computers unless you go into the BIOS and set a drive password. Then you still can, as long as the other BIOS/UEFI supports secure drives and you have the password.

A-5-8

All the keys and crypto capabilities are baked into the SSD hardware. The data is encrypted on the NAND but unless you lock out the hardware anyone can still access it, unlike something like BitLocker or TruCrypt that uses a TPM or USB device to keep the keys separate from the drive.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Never came back to this. You're right, works like a charm (although I still have doubts on whether the actual data is encrypted (in the mem-chips) as opposed to a "simple" password for access mechanism). Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X