Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I DID IT! PIII-450@600 with L2 cache on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I DID IT! PIII-450@600 with L2 cache on!

SOB!
    I managed to boot Win98 just a few minutes ago at 600 Mhz with L2 cache on. This is a first for me and I have been fiddling with the settings for months!

All I had to do was bump the voltage to 2.3V and set "in order qeue depth" to 1 as opposed to the 8 it was before. This however causes Sandra2k to benchmark my memory much lower than when running 594 Mhz with "in order qeue depth" set to 8. 187 Mb/s vs. 344 Mb/s @ 600. Strange! Anyone know why this happens?

It's not completely stable yet as explorer crashed the first time I tried to go online, but I think I'll try some copper spacers on the cache chips (if I can find out how to get a hold of some).

any ideas or comments are welcome,

Jake
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

any ideas or comments are welcome...

yea its the RAM !! the RAM..

what are your chip markings...

------------------
    PIII-450@600, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!,Brand stinkin' new Sony G400 19", (no Dual head) Nokia 447Xi 17",AOPEN DVD-1040 10x slot,PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW,PromiseULtra66, and some fish,

Comment

what cooling do you use, and can you provide system specs?

------------------
      "the horror....the horror..."

ABit BE6 II w/ Pentium3 500mhz
      Maxtor udma66 14 gig, Maxtor udma33 8 gig (both 7200rpm)
      Matrox G400 DH max
      Aureal Vortex SuperQuad2500
      19" PF790 Viewsonic & 17" ADI 5+
      ACK 580 crdless k/b and mouse
      Panasonic 7585 CD RW 32x8x4
      Pioneer DVD 114 10x
      one big case fan and standard retail CPU cooling from Intel

Comment

LAMFDTK,

Wadda-Ya-Mean it's the RAM?????

My RAM is PC133! It says so when tested by Sandra and Motherboard Monitor. And the dude who sold it to me told me it was approved up to 150 Mhz FSB!!

Bongo,

Sorry, I usually always include my system specs. My CPU was a boxed version with the standard Intel HSF, but I exchanged it for a GlobalWin HSF with dual 5000rpm fans. This sucker blows harder than a crack whore with astma! I recently removed the thermal pad that was installed on the HSF to make contact with the die with some fresh thermal paste. It lowered CPU temp by 5-10 degrees celcius. CPU temp hovers around 45C after bootup at 600 Mhz, 2.3V. Default temp. (450) is around 35C.

Regards,

Jake

------------------
        ----------------------
        MGA-G200 8Mb Mill. bios ver. 2.3, Abit BF6 mobo bios ver. QJ, PIII-450@585, 128Mb PC-133 SDRAM, 17" Hitachi monitor, Plextor 40TS CDROM, Plextor 8/20 CDR. Diamond MX300 A3D PCI soundcard, Adaptec AHA-2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah 9.1 GB LVD HDD.

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 14 March 2000).]
        ----------------------
        Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Jake, lower your CAS to 2, you will have better luck.

Comment

Who said its PC133? The "guy on the Net"

Chip markings my friend is the only proof

And listen to Scout255!

I got my rig up to 600 with stock heat sink and no stinkin L2 spacers.

------------------
            PIII-450@600, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!,Brand stinkin' new Sony G400 19", (no Dual head) Nokia 447Xi 17",AOPEN DVD-1040 10x slot,PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW,PromiseULtra66, and some fish,

Comment

hey Scout, or anyone...what's "CAS"??

Comment

I'd really like to hear Scout's reasoning. CAS-2 is harder on the RAM than CAS-3 - and if it's the RAM causing a problem, this should give you a harder time overclocking.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

LAMFDTK,

Ok, I'll take the lid of my computer case this evening and check my RAM markings... Btw. Sandra tells me that my stick of 128 Mb PC133 is only CAS3. Strange! That might be the problem. In the meantime you can tell me what the S-Spec of your PIII-450 is. Mine is a SL37C. As far as I have seen this type needs more pursuasion than the other models. The SL45D OEM with NEC cache is considered the best overclocker. Mine has SEC cahce chips. They might not be 4ns....

Regards,

Jake
                  ----------------------

Comment

Cache spacers aren't going to make much of a difference. Been there, done that.

Your lucky to have the SEC (Samsung) cache chips on your processor as they overclock nicely as do the NEC chips. My last P3-550 had Mitsubishi cache chips which are known to be poor for overclocking.

BTW what is your L2 cache latency set at???
                    I believe that default for the P3-450 and P3-500 was 8.

Also I read somewhere that your processor temp was 50 degC. That is a bit high you may also want to add more fans to your system to improve the ventilation in your case or keep the side cover off.

Paul
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I could still be my G200 that's causing the instability. There is a setting in SoftmenuIII to control AGP speed. If I set it to normal (*1) when running 600Mhz my system seems much more stable. I also set the CAS latency to 3, according to my RAM spec. My L2 cache latency is set at default 8. strangly enough Sandra always reports it to be 8 even if I set it at something else.

The CPU temp is another problem. In Sandra I get 27C from the motherboard info sheet and 35C from the CPU sheet, even though they should be the same. And NO, I'm not looking at the general system temp or the system2 temp measuring my HDD temp (using a thermister cable).

Anyway temp is definently lower after I removed the thermal pad from my GlobalWin HSF and put on some thermal paste in it's place. It used to be as you said around 50C. But back then I wasn't even able to post at 600...

Regards,

Jake

----------------------

Comment

Get WCPUID from the download files at this site. It always gave me accurate info on the processors and L2 cache setting.
                        http://www.h-oda.com/

Also you may want to use "Motherboard Monitor" to keep track of your temps and voltages.
                        You can get that here under Processor files.

http://www.clockingfiles.cjb.net/

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 15 March 2000).]
                        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

He, I got a SL37D to!!
                          But my VCore is set to just 2.05V

My cache is mitsubitsy 250Mhz, I don't know how many ns it is but I think is 4ns

The temp of my CPu is just 41C with 100% cpu load(Seti)The cooler is homemade wich I realy like!!

I do not know, do you?

Comment

Lucky ducks. I'm not sure of the batch number for my P3-450 (retail boxed), but when I got it, I looked it up, and supposedly it was one of the good overclockers (That's good).

I bought a BE6 motherboard not long after Abit first brought them out, so mine only supports the 124Mhz FSB, and not the 129 that the BE6-II does. This means I have less available speeds to overclock it to. (This is BAD).

I have been able to successfully overclock it to 558 (124FSB), both at 1/4 and 1/3 PCI multiplier, with 256MB Siemens RAM (2x128, supposedly 133Mhz, anyone know a site that I can verify this through?). (This is GOOD, too).

I've tried to set it to the 133Mhz fsb, but it won't even post. I tried several different voltage settings, as well as both the 1/3 and 1/4 PCI multiplier settings, with CAS2 and CAS3 for the RAM. No go. At this point, I don't know for sure whether it's the CPU or the memory that keeps it from posting, and frankly, I've given up trying, at least for the moment. (That's BAD, too).

So I guess for now I'm stuck with 558, even though I should at least be able to get 581 out of it (with the right motherboard).

So I'm glad that somebody has been able to get this setup running at 600. Good for you, dude!

------------------
                            Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 15 March 2000).]
                            "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                            Gainward Ti4600
                            AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

is setting your "in queue depth" to 1 slows your CPU ? Here when I do that, it slows quite a bit, almost to the non O/C speed.(Maybe there's something else...).
                              Athlon64 4800+
                              Asus A8N deluxe
                              2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                              eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                              X-Fi Fatality
                              HP w2207

Comment

Working...
                              X