Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pop up windows....?

Hello!

My BOINC has been running fine for a few days now, but this morning it started popping up windows:
    "minirosetta version 3.43 [workunit: ]"
    which appear to have the same layout as the BOINC screensaver...

I have two of those windows (even though 4 computations are ongoing), and I cannot close them (if I close, a new one opens).

Any thoughts of getting rid of those?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I have the same issue. I think the WUs are broke, nothing is happening. I'm waiting for my two tasks that are running to finish and then I'll reset the project at my PC.

Edit: Ouch. They implemented a new version of the app (v3.43 vs 3.41). My 3.41 units are doing fine, all 3.43 fail...
    Edit2: Yeah, many others have this issue as well. I'm sure R@H will submit a new version soon.
    Last edited by Umfriend; 14 November 2012, 05:50.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I hope they will fix it soon, some of those are working in the places where such windows can scare some users
      A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Yeah, I can imagine.... this is not good. Also, it seems to me these WUs never actually start so if they fix it, every PC may need to reset the project or at least kill the 3.43 WUs...
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Well if they broke it automatically, maybe they can fix it same way
          Btw. soon we will hit 900 in world rank
          A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Yeah, we're climbing more than 100 per week. Wonder how long that'll last without much needed reinforcemurcents. But heck, we're fast since y'all joined

Comment

As I understand it, they fixed the glitch but I have not yet seen instructions for the end-users. I suspect that the project will need to be reset at each PC so as to free up the slots from the broken WUs.

I am not sure though, the issue appears to be with the new version of the application, perhaps it gets downloaded automatically and the takes over.

Anyway, I'll post here when I know more. This is a good place to check for new info: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

Comment

It's been fixed, but the end user will have to do something as well: either reset the project (on the Projects tab) or kill the existing tasks (on the Tasks tab). I've got some working again.
                Nov 14, 2012
                An application update to version 3.45 has been made to address a serious bug occurring on Windows 64 bit platforms. If you are running Windows 64 bit clients, please cancel existing Rosetta@home jobs that are either cached or running the older 3.43 application version. You may see a blank Rosetta@home screensaver window which you should manually exit/close. We are sorry for any inconvenience and we are updating our scripts and process to prevent this from happening again in the future. For more information about this issue you can go to this message board thread. Thank you to those that have posted on this thread and have helped to identify the root cause of this issue.

Comment

I just did a reset of the project, and now it is downloading again... Interesting is the name of the first download: minirosetta_3.45_windows_x86_64.exe...

Let's hope it is fixed...
                  pixar

Comment

I can confirm that 3.45 is running well on my machines.

Comment

Yep, running fine here now as well... I seem to have had an break in crunching because of the issue though...
                      pixar

Comment

Question about those pop up windows (if I manage to convince my colleagues to run it on their computers as well): would they pop up for a different user?
                        If I would run the BOINC client under my name, switch user, and my colleague logs on; would he see those popups?
                        pixar

Comment

The pop-ups were clearly a result of a bug in the v3.43 application that affected only 64-bit OS (and I think limited to Windows 7, not sure about Vista if there was a 64-bit version). Popping up is not normal expected behaviour.

They do make for nice screensavers though and you can get them by going to the manager, tasks, select one and then select Show graphics.

I do not think it would (have) matter(ed) has you installed it under your user account unless you had it installed to also only _run_ when your account was logged on(?).

Comment

Well, I'm more thinking if it was running in the backgroud... I would guess it would not pop up on the session of a different user, but it might depend if the BOINC client is considered as an "all user application"
                            pixar

Comment

I donnow.

I do hope Marshmallowman and Zokes read up here because I think their machines are stuck on the v3.43 issue right now...

Comment

Working...
                              X