Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Trend COTY: Tesla Model S

Elon Musk: WINNER !!!!

The CEO of two of the the world's most innovative companies is seeing his disruptive companies rack up the accolades. Tesla has picked up a big one.

Elon Musk on a roll: First SpaceX succeeds, and now Tesla wins Motor Trend Car of the Year

Elon Musk is a on a serious roll.

He's CEO of two companies: SpaceX and Tesla Motors. SpaceX, based near Los Angeles, just completed the first paid commerical resupply mission to the International Space Station.

The news just broke that Tesla's Model S sedan has won Motor Trend's Car of the Year award.
    >

2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S

Shocking Winner: Proof Positive that America Can Still Make (Great) Things

The 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year is one of the quickest American four-doors ever built. It drives like a sports car, eager and agile and instantly responsive. But it's also as smoothly effortless as a Rolls-Royce, can carry almost as much stuff as a Chevy Equinox, and is more efficient than a Toyota Prius. Oh, and it'll sashay up to the valet at a luxury hotel like a supermodel working a Paris catwalk. By any measure, the Tesla Model S is a truly remarkable automobile, perhaps the most accomplished all-new luxury car since the original Lexus LS 400. That's why it's our 2013 Car of the Year.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 November 2012, 11:47.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It's also a bit less expensive than I thought it would be. Now all Musk has to do is build an electric car that wins the Indy 500 and he won't be able to build them fast enough.

Comment

Tesla buyers likely don't need to watch their pennies, but the calculation's worth doing all the same: At an average of 74.5 mpg-e, the Model S costs about 6 cents a mile to run, based on California's 13 cents per kW-hr.
      6 c/mile? Just for the electricity. There's no way that this figure could include maintenance (tyres etc.), amortisation, tax, insurance, and all the overheads. Translated to this country's electricity at €0.27/kWh (this is what I paid on the last bill), this figure would translate to about €0.10/km. Granted it's not in the same class of performance/luxury, my Honda Civic Hybrid costs me about €0.065/km for fuel, even with the enormous tax on fuel (€1.31/l = $6.47/USgal) and it can get me from A to B at more than the max speed limit in just the same time as the Tesla (perhaps 5 or 10 seconds more, as it accelerates less).

I question the batteries and the charging in 30 min at service stations. Doing this would knock hell out of them, even for a half-charge, and I'm damn sure that the station would charge more than 13 c/kWh. If you did this regularly, how long would your batteries last? How much to change them? Presumably, the price difference of $48,330 between the two models represents largely the 45 kWh difference in battery energy. And don't forget Li-ion batteries lose 10% of their capacity/year, so you would need to change them at least every 5 years or so if you travel longish distances.

Nice car, though!
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
      X