For all you veteran win2kers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all you veteran win2kers...

Ok, here's what's goin on with my system.

I know for a FACT that my G400 vanilla does not like agp 2x. I guess it's a bad board but i have always had to force agp 1x in win98 for it to work properly (or else i get funny lines going through the screen and it locks up). Now that i'm using win2k, i need to force it to 1x also (even that little embm demo of the water pool doesn't work). I've tried powerstrip, but that only locks up my computer. When i reboot, the agp is still at 2x. I've also tried the disable write combing, but it still locks up... i think it does run a little longer before locking up though.

So what else can I do? I'm going to try the 5.03 drivers soon, but i'm sure this won't fix the problem as i've had it with all the previous drivers for win 98. I will try and get my irq's straightened out also since i guess i have free beer on irq 9 like a lot of other people. I'll see what works, but if there's another way to force 1x, please tell me how... Thanks!

here's my specs:
    Athlon 750
    Asus K7M-RM
    MX300
    G400
    SMC EZ 10/100 nic
    128mb ram

Ok.. it's not the drivers.. i just updated to 5.03

I guess i just can't play games for now since it seems to be 3D related apps. Normal usage of windows explorer/ie/just 2d apps don't seem to crash the system.

btw. Sometimes it freezes, and sometimes it just reboots out of the blue... i'm am almost positive it's the agp problem now. and i'm almost sure it's the vid card because it did this to me on my bx board before running a cel 366.

Comment

I really wish I could help you with the AGP thing. But about the best I can tell you for that is to search the forums for this, since I think it's already been posted before. You might also check out the Matrox tech support forums, because I'm certain this issue has been broached there, too.

As far as the IRQ thing goes, I'm a little confused about the issue. Everyone says that the card NEEDS an IRQ 9 or above, but my system runs just as well with my Max on 5 or 7 (the ones it usually takes by default). I currently have it forced to 9, by using my BIOS PCI IRQ assignments, but as I said, other than the hassle of setting it up, I see no difference in performance.

------------------
      Ace
      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600
      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Well, I suspect that the issue isn't the G400, as mine works fine in Win2k. It's probably something else in your system interfering. And I DON'T mean via IRQ's, since they're all SUPPOSED to be on one IRQ under Win2k (ACPI and all).

As for which IRQ... in ACPI it doesn't matter. In standard IRQ mode, it depends on the motherboard. Some mobo's perform better with it on IRQ 9 or higher. Some mobo's don't work AT ALL if it isn't on IRQ 9 or higher. Some it doesn't matter.

I'd try getting the newer Athlon chipset drivers for Win2k as a first step.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

But i also did have this problem with other motherboards including a BX board. Forcing 1x was the only way to run my g400 stable in games and 3d apps. I posted a message on the Matrox troubleshooting forum at their site and they said they're writing a utility that should be released soon that would allow switching agp speeds. Good stuff... i'll just wait till then.

Changing the subject just a bit.... how come my intellipoint drivers don't load on startup? It did the first time and i turned off the icon in the systray and now it's not loading at all anymore (eg. scroll button doesn't work in non microsoft windows, aim, etc.) how can i get it back? it's in the control panel and if i double click the mouse, the scroll will work again.

Comment

Jesta:

Umm... you don't NEED Intellipoint under Win2k - the scrolly wheel works in all applications all by itself with the built-in drivers.

What kind of whacked out mouse do you have?

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
            X