WAH WHO! DSL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAH WHO! DSL!

GOT MY DSL LINE CONNECTED TODAY (384K), GREAT JOB BY ZYAN, EVERYTHING WENT AS PLANNED AND THEY EVEN OFFERED TO MOVE UP THE INSIDE WIRING TO TODAY FROM NEXT MONDAY
    JIM
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

no caps...

Going for my ADSL line next summer...

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I'll have T1 access from Broadbandnow, which was formally known as I3S, in a month or two through my apartment complex. It should be slightly faster than a DSL, as long as not too many people are on it at once.

Jammrock

------------------
      My computer was working great until my brand new "top-of-the-line" power supply committed ritual suicide, after only 24 hours of use, and took out 2 motherboard (mine and a test board), 2 hard drives, a floppy drive and possibly more...a moment of silence please, in rememberance of a valiant computer that served me well.

Sorry, had to vent.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

All right DuRaNgO!
        Welcome to the club.
        Go directly to www.dslreports.com !

The hint on increasing RWIN size is realy good!
        Make it 32k! = BIG speed up!

chuck

PS They only guaranteed me 384k but my line wound up going 1.1-1.4 mbs! It depends on your line and whether they have you locked down at the CO.

------------------
        ABit BF6, Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, Princeton EO75, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 11 February 2000).]
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

DSL is great. I personally have a cable modem, which is much faster, but not as reliable. There are some short downtimes every once in a while, but not that much. From a very fast site (or when using download accelerator) I had around 400k/sec as my max. I'm paying $39.95/month, so I'm happy

PS, how fast does DSL upload?? Cable is limited to 50k/sec (400 kbps) upstream and 375k/sec (3000 kbps)downstream so that people don't run servers on their systems. (because of the static IP) I heard that DSL uploads faster, is that true?
          P60-120Thz, 256Tb ram, 27.5Pb 225000 RPM HD, 142" .001 dot pitch monitor @ 30720x23040x64, Matrox G24000 w/512Gb, SB UltraLive2, DX120 beta, Win2112 SP4. Hey -- beta testers have their advantages...

Comment

Et tu DuRaNgO? You're all turning against me. Soon I'll be the only one out there trying to play Quake 3 with a 56K modem. Sorry to lose another.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

DSL rocks, with good servers I can get downloads of 100-110kb/sec. Only downside is that the providers limits upload speeds to 14kb/sec, probably to prevent users from hosting web sites. I use a RWIN value of 32120, a MaxMTU of 1484 and a TTL of 64. Try this program, it'll prevent you from having to hack the registry manually.
              http://www.softseek.com/Internet/Web...749_index.html

enjoy

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12 February 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12 February 2000).]
              Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

OK, my area will have cable access in about a month. Should I go with cable or DSL? What is everyone's opinion on Speed vs Reliability vs Cost?
                My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

I plan on going ADSL end of the month.

Around $45/m including monthy modem purchase option. 512Kb/s down 128Kb/s up is the cheapest package, goes up to 1Mb/s down 512Kb/s up at $60/m, which is the same cost as our local cable modem access. for comparison I pay $30/m for dialup access. all dollar amounts in $CDN. For an extra $15/m, it's a no brainer.

Be sure you have lots of hard drive space or a CD-ROM burner handy. Got a rewriteable last week.

Comment

If you can get cable in your area, then I would advise you to do that. I asked a few of my friends, and DSL/ADSL is just reliable as a cable modem. ie. it also goes down every once in a while. If you plan to connect the internet to more than one system, go with ADSL. As far as speed goes, cable (3000kbps down/400kbps up) is much better than any DSL line for $39.95. Not everyone has cable in their area though.

Himself- there is a difference between 512k/sec and 512kbps. k/sec is kilobytes per second, kbps is kilobits per second. ADSL can't do 1 meg/second, it's 1 mbps, which is 125k/second. Cable access in my area (Canada/Ontario..) is $39.95/month. Still, the fastest ADSL is 3x slower than cable. (1mbps vs. 3mbps)

Both are good though, so whatever is cheaper and more suitable is better. You can have ADSL hooked up to multiple systems, for cable you pay extra. [Only per IP address. If you want to use the same IP, and set up a LAN that shares the gateway, you can do so without paying extra, but if you want every system to have a different IP, then you pay.]
                    You guys figure out what's best for you.

[This message has been edited by Storm (edited 12 February 2000).]
                    P60-120Thz, 256Tb ram, 27.5Pb 225000 RPM HD, 142" .001 dot pitch monitor @ 30720x23040x64, Matrox G24000 w/512Gb, SB UltraLive2, DX120 beta, Win2112 SP4. Hey -- beta testers have their advantages...

Comment

Remember, the DSL speeds listed are the GUARANTEED minimum speeds. As you can see from further up in this thread, you can achieve much higher speeds (384kbs running at 1.1-1.4mbs). So DSL could be faster than cable if you get a fast connection. But cable will prolly be cheaper...

Jon
                      My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
                      2 Pentium III 500 MHz
                      256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
                      Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
                      2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
                      Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
                      Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
                      Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
                      Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
                      Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

Another thing to remember about cable is theat you share your connection with all your neighbors. With dsl you are on a separate pair of wires all the way to the Central office.
                        My down load speed depends on the server I am siphoning from, but it is frequently 140 - 150k bytes per sec.
                        Also cable systems tend to do more caching. Which means you get fantastic speeds on popular pages, but funnel down if you take the road less traveled.
                        chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

My buddy had a cable connection. His complex put up a dish and through the cable co out. So he lot his connection. He switched to ADSL, says it slower, and down more that cable. He was happier before.

Mostly I'm happy with my cable "modem"

Mark F.

------------------
                          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                          and burped out a movie

Comment

My whole neighbourhood is flooded with cable internet traffic, but I guess we have excellent servers where I live, because I always get the fastest speed. Cache servers are only used if you connect through an http proxy (which you should). Direct connections don't use them, so you can test the actual speed. The shared connection fact is a bit exaggerated, you have to have TONS of cable users in your area for a slowdown to happen.
                            Then your cable ISP will just upgrade the servers..

3mbps down/400kbps up for $39 is a good deal, that's all.
                            Both cable and DSL are good. Until we have game demos that exceed 600Mb, cable vs. dsl is meaningless.

Comment

Himself- there is a difference between 512k/sec and 512kbps. k/sec is kilobytes per second, kbps is kilobits per second. ADSL can't do 1 meg/second, it's 1 mbps, which is 125k/second.

Er, nowhere did I mention K/sec or even M/s, so while true, I know that already. I just don't care, 15-20 times faster than what I get now is nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

Working...
                              X