Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When overclocking my Athlon, should ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When overclocking my Athlon, should ....

Should I have spread spectrum enabled or disabled? I understand that it affects the "clarity" of bus frequency, but is that desireable when o/cing or not? Thanks,

Dimitri

Also, I was looking at K7 Core and checked out my model number and am confused by it. According to the faq, the first two model numbers are the location, then the year, then the week. This is my model number: 230001502862 As far as I can tell, this would mean it is made this year (00 in Dresden Germany), but it's a week #1 (01) !?! Maybe I'm missing something..... Kind of a dumb question at this point. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 15 March 2000).]
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

You should disable spread spectrum.

Spread spectrum is a way to slightly vary the clock frequency so that the interference your pc creates does not constantly affect a single source, but it spreads it over a range. It is a way for companies to sneak under the maximum EMI as mandated by their gov't.

I dunno about the serial numbers off the top of my head.

Comment

I thought that the current range of Athlons were all manufactured in Austin, Texas, with the Dresden plant being prepared to manufacture the Thunderbird and Spitfire variants. I might me wrong though

Comment

Does that Athlon and the G400 you just get back cook well enough for your UT needs, Maud'Dib? Hehe

Maybe we can get together this evening sometime between 8:30 and 9 PM ET to give it a whirl. Sorry I couldn't make it earlier.

Also, that heat conductive grease I bought at Radio Shack is still holding the heatsink in place, even after 3 weeks (with it hanging down below the card in my mid-tower, no less).

I had to take the double-stick tape that I was using to fasten my blower fan to the motherboard tray. I did that last night, and after some digging around in my spare parts bin, I found a 1-1/4" screw that I mounted it with, using a motherboard mounting hole that the BE6 leaves uncovered. Now I have a good stream of air focused on the G400Max and the processor / memory.

Let me know how your Athlon setup goes. I will need to upgrade again in the next few months (P3-450 at 558 just isn't fast enough any longer, especially for a card like the G800[??]).

L8r, and good luck with your new screamin' rig.

------------------
        Ace
        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
        Gainward Ti4600
        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Hi Dimitri,
          Congradulations on moving up to an Athlon. I'm envious. I hope your new G400 is more polite than the last one. Here is a good article to answer your overclocking questions. It covers it very well and its current. http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/r...article_id=122 and one on GFD's that will let you know which ones handle the cache divider http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2000q1/gf-roundup/

RAB

[This message has been edited by RAB (edited 16 March 2000).]
          AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Thanks for the links RAB. The installation of the G400 was unbeilivably painless. I didn't have to do anything other than plug it in and install the drivers..... I was almost dissapointed that it wasn't more difficult...

Ace, sorry we missed the game tonight. There's always tomorrow...

Rogue, you're right. They are no longer being produced in Dresden.

Is there anything worth knowing about this week of production? **hint hint** like they are all 1 ghz core running at 1/2 divider!?! That would be nice.... haha

Dimitri
            "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
            --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Hehe, Muad'Dib. You might want to allow urgent messages to come through ICQ when you have it set to away. I sent both of those messages while I was still online, but couldn't get them to you in time to play. That server was running really well (at least for me) at the time, too.

Ah, well..

Like you say, maybe tonight. I haven't got any prescheduled practices or other activities (non-computer related) going on tonight.

Glad to hear that the G400 is working so well for you.

------------------
              Ace

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600

Comment

I couldn't possibly have incoming messages in DND mode ACE!!! If that was the case, I'd get kicked out of UT every ten minutes.... And yes, the G400 is working great now and this has been noticed by everyone I killed last night... haha No, really!

Dimitri

P.S.: So we can keep this in in hardware forum, whenever I get an ICQ message, UT starts to minimize and then gives me an out of memory error. Is this normal or did I screw something up? Thanks
                --- Albert Einstein

Comment

The out of memory error is one I'm not familiar with, but the problem with being interrupted by ICQ IS. That might be why ICQ was causing Q3A to turn belly-up on me every time I got a message. I solved that using the same technique I list below.

I just disable the pop-up notification / messages, as well as sounds in ICQ before playing. That seemed to take care of my problems.

------------------
                  Ace

System specs:
                  Gainward Ti4600

Comment

Maud, that IP addy U gave me last night was great... until some smart ass wad decided to attemp to repeatedly stick me with a trojan! Kept blowing my net connection too... If and when I find him I'll be sure to nuke them back! Errr
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry bout that Mike. All I know is that they were some fun games we played.... Except for the fact that I got sticked by a whole bunch of idiots with that stupid air hammer thing....

Dimitri
                      --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                      X