Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching IT without internet -s/w recs please

Hi

My wife teaches in an establishment where they can't allow internet access for the pupils. Lets just say she has a captive audience.

She's trying to improve the syllabus (heck, teching them the ON button will be an improvement over what they've been doing until now).

Problem #1: In the qualification they want to adopt they are required to teach them how to change the dpi setting for an image (note I explicitly mean the dpi, not the number of pixels). Not much does this, maybe Gimp (way OTT) or Irfanview?

Problem #2: She needs to teach them raw HTML. All she has now is Notepad.

Problem #3: They have no software.

Problem #4: They won't buy any software.

So, I am looking for freeware that #1 does basic graphics work including changing dpi and #2 a simple HTML editor with preview.

Once we have that the next hurdle is persuading their s**t for brains administrator to log in so the s/w can be installed.

And don't get me started on the whiteboard and projector that have been there for years and can't be used as the s/w isn't installed!

She comes home knackered and drained every day she goes there (only 3 days a week thankfully). I am sure frustration (hers and her pupils) is the biggest cause.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks,

T.
    FT.

#1 - IrfanView can do dpi changes, and batch processing. Get & install the plugins too.

but its editing tools are rudimentary. For real editing featurez GIMP is hard to beat.

#2 - Notepad++ (C, C++, Java, C#, XML, HTML, PHP, JavaScript, RC file, makefile, NFO, doxygen, INI file, batch file, ASP, VB/VBS, SQL, Objective-C, CSS, Pascal, Perl, Python, Lua, Unix Shell Script, Fortran, NSIS & Flash action script)

Both free.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 October 2012, 00:44.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Which platform is she using? Windows or Linux?

I use the website http://alternativeto.net/ to find alternatives to known software. Filtering allows you to get free or open source software, and filtering by platform. The downside is that you need to know what you want an alternative for. But for instance for Photoshop it gives:

As html editor, I used AceHTML, which has nice preview options. But there are alternatives:
      Last edited by VJ; 10 October 2012, 01:05.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

What's the point of learning HTML without being able to upload it to a web site? The kids should take industrial action to allow Internet access and then they can get a free hosting site to see their efforts.

I think it was 1993 that I wrote HTML in MS-DOS Editor and uploaded my first web site to Compuserve, with a 2400 bit/s modem. Strangely, you can still use MS-DOS Editor on 32 bit WIN. Go to Command Prompt and type 'edit' - it works!

For free HTML editing, I strongly recommend CoffeeCup http://www.coffeecup.com/free-editor/ -- it does everything including code-checking, auto indents, colour coding, CSS style sheets, browser compatibility etc. Takes the pain out of Notepad.

Until the kids get Internet access, your Other Half can download at home and save to a memory stick.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

edit: part removed

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
          What's the point of learning HTML without being able to upload it to a web site?
          It is perfectly possible, just run a webserver on the local computer. No need for it to be online.
          Last edited by VJ; 10 October 2012, 23:59.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

You can create access point with smartphone and buy a data plan card.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              It is perfectly possible, just run a webserver on the local computer. No need for it to be online.
              Of course, I do it all the time as a preliminary check before uploading, but I'm damn sure the kids would do better at the job if they had the 'thrill' of seeing their work published on the Internet. Poppa and Momma could also see it then, from home. As second best, Teacher's 'puter could be an intranet server.

What age are the pupils?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                What age are the pupils?
                Medieval
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Hi Brian

If I could I would PM to explain to you why I am not being more explicit about where she works. I think VJ gets it.

Cheers

T.
                  FT.

Comment

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Although, in defence, "students" or "apprentices" might have made it slightly easier to understand.
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

And Umfriend doesn't.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I would think that my suggestions limited the public to, you know, somewhat older than "pupils"? Puts "capitve" in a bit of a tighter context?
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Yup! It was 'pupils' that threw me: I imagined primary school level. I see now that your OH is dealing with some more difficult, older, kids in what used to be euphemistically known as somewhat special schools or similar. Don't envy her. I also understand the Internet ban. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Comment

Getting closer Brian

Yesterday was good, a new admin has admitted to them having a MS Volume Licence and will be installing old version of FrontPage etc sometime soon. That could be good enough.
                            FT.

Comment

Working...
                            X