Shocked!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocked!!!

My urologist prescribed a transrectal prostate biopsy, so I went to the appropriate doctor at the main hospital in the country.

To break the ice, I said to him that I hoped he had plenty of lidocaine, which is the normal pain-prophylaxis as the procedure consists of sticking 10-20 (usually 12) needles, 1.6 mm diameter, through the rectal wall into the prostate gland which is richly doted with nerve endings. Local anaesthesia has thus been standard practice for 25 years. He replied that he never gave local anaesthesia. I asked why not? He said that it was not normal practice when he started taking biopsy samples and he saw no reason why he should change now!!!

He also said that, in view of my age, he would just take six samples. Sextant biopsies were abandoned over 20 years ago, because it needed a minimum of 10 to 12 to be reasonable sure of hitting a tumour.

Normally, I would have expected a mild sedative injection, before starting. Not given!

I had two microenemas earlier and had started on an antibiotic course the previous day, as preparation. I expected the biopsy site to be thoroughly prepped with an antiseptic cleaning solution to remove any residual faecal contamination. No way was this done.

I also expected to have the procedure done in a reasonably sterile environment. I expected too much. An examination couch in his consulting room.

I lay down, in my street clothes (including shoes) on the couch in a foetal position and was sodomised with a gel coated ultrasound probe. I won't say it was painful but it was decidedly uncomfortable, as he manipulated it into different positions.

Now for the good news. He renounced on performing the biopsy as the rectum wall was thickened and this may result in excessive haemorrhaging, exacerbated by the radiation therapy I had in 1995. He had no means at hand to cope with heavy bleeding. Did he never anticipate a patient may bleed when brutalised that ha had no laser cauterisation equipment? Boy! Was I relieved! He referred me back to my urologist.

Final note: as I was leaving, he said I should restart my daily mini-aspirin dose and to stop the antibiotics. Now, I was under the impression that drug-resistant bacteria were a result of mutations due to curtailed antibiotic courses. I checked with both types and they both said that a course should be 5-8 days and not to interrupt it. I grant you that, in this case, the raison d'être for them was no longer there (ie no invasion of the prostate) but, IMHO, it would be folly to stop taking them prematurely, so I'm taking them for 5 days, despite what this dinosaur of a doctor said.

To say I'm shocked by this mid-20th century experience is an understatement.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Wow, I hope you will get your urologist to refer you to a different quack next time.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

You can't have the nice weather of Cyprus together with Scandinavian medicine level.

Comment

At least he didn't opt for blood-letting, I hear it's the last fashion in medicine!
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Oh, and I feel sorry for your trouble.

Having doctors probe my ass is one of my greatest fears.

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
            Wow, I hope you will get your urologist to refer you to a different quack next time.
            There will not be a next time with him, I can assure you. There are plenty of other options, which I'll discuss with my urologist in a couple of weeks.

Comment

More info than I really needed to hear....

...But if yer gonna complain about your ass problems...

I have a recurring staff infection on what docs have reffered to as a 'peri-anal' or 'peri-rectal' gland. It has developed what the call a 'fistula'...a tiny tunnel between my poop hole and this gland :/ Thus, bacteria gets to that gland.

So once every 6-18 weeks, I grow a golf ball between my rectum and scrotum....till it 'erupts' (WOOHOO).

Docs are pressuring me hard for surgery, but I have no insurance and certainly can't afford it right now. So they toss antibiotics at me, and wait...

To top it off, it happend to flare up weds....and I had to drive 8 hours round trip and sit on a hardwood courtroom bench for 5 hours in the last 48 hours.....yea the heating pad is getting a workout 2nite
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Out of interest (for reasons I'll keep out of this thread): what would that surgery cost you, who pay for the antibiotics and what do they cost?
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

surgery would cost thousands of $$$$ ...dealing with it costs me 20 bux in meds, and an occassional day off work when it flares up....
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Like 2K, 20K, 200K?
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin View Post
                      surgery would cost thousands of $$$$ ...dealing with it costs me 20 bux in meds, and an occassional day off work when it flares up....

Surgery would be contraindicated for the primary treatment of a perianal fistula in Europe today. Much more common is the use of "fibrin glue". This is injected into the fistula and permanently seals it off. It has a one-off 6-month success rate of >85%. A second treatment can be done in the case of the 15% initial failure. Best results are for long fistula tracts. The long term (>5 years) success rate is about 50%, I think this is because the formed fibroblasts are weaker than natural tissue and may re-open the fistula (straining???)

The use of Tissucol, for the same reasons, has shown to be particularly useful for the non-surgical treatment of anal and perianal fistulae (9).
                      Acta Biomedica | Official Journal of the Society of Medicine and Natural Sciences of Parma and Center on Health Systems' Quality and Sustainability

The ref (9) in the quote above is
                      9. Patrlj L, Kocman B, Martinac M, et al. Fibrin glue – antibiotic mixture in the treatment of anal fistulae: experience with 69 cases. Digest Surg 2000; 17: 77-80.

As you can see, this has been used successfully for over 20 years. For some obscure reason, the authorities have not approved fibrin glue in the USA, except in licensed experimental labs, but I believe it is available in the grey market.

I understand it is a 24 h hospital stay, in most cases, as epidural or general anaesthesia is required except for external fistulae. The procedure generally lasts <10 minutes. The cost is typically 1/3 that of surgery, I'm told. There is a flourishing market for US patients in Europe, I believe.

Comment

The grey market exists because the US drug, treatment & device approval sysyem is an overly bureaucratic nightmare with strong tinges of 'Not Invented Here.'
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                        X