Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cache cooling. Copper spacers??? Tell me how!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cache cooling. Copper spacers??? Tell me how!

2CoolTek has some copper spacers for sale. There is an article on the site that explains how to install it (don't have the URL).

Millisec has a lot of good info and equipment, too.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Hi Jake,

I made my own out of sterling silver 10 gauge sheet which is 0.10 inch thick or ~2.5mm thick. My jewelers background still comes in handy now and then
    You can make your own if you can find copper sheet at the above thickness and cut it to fit over your cache chips. I used thermal tape to hold them to the cache chips and thermal grease between the spacer and the Alpha P3-125 Heatsink.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Cache cooling. Copper spacers??? Tell me how!

Hi guys (and gals if any),

Does anybody know of a good procedure for installing copper spacers on the cache chips of a PIII-450? If you know of a link to a site with instructions and pictures, please let me know.

I'm looking for details like copper plate thickness and size, glue type if any, insulation if needed and so on....

Also, is it correct that one of the chips is placed on the back of the PCB? If so, how do I cool it.

I'm still trying to get my PIII-450 to do 600 stable. I managed to narrow the problem to the cache as it it completely stable now with the L2 cache turned off. I burned it in for 14 days running default voltage and speed and now it runs 600 (no L2 cache) at 2.1V as opposed to the previous 2.3V that was needed just to get it to post at 600. I also upgraded the bios to qj thus enabling a default voltage of 3.5V on the my G200's AGP port. That made it stable at 174Mhz AGP(2/3*133*2). Right now it does 129-130 Mhz FSB (584 CPU) completely stable with L2 cache on, so all I need is 3 lousy Mhz more FSB to get to the magic 600.

Any help is much appriciated,

Jake

------------------
      Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
      ----------------------
      MGA-G200 8Mb Mill. bios ver. 2.3, Abit BF6 mobo bios ver. QJ, PIII-450@584, 128Mb PC-133 SDRAM, 17" Hitachi monitor, Plextor 40TS CDROM, Plextor 8/20 CDR. Diamond MX300 A3D PCI soundcard, Adaptec AHA-2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah 9.1 GB LVD HDD.

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 14 March 2000).]
      Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
      ----------------------
      Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

"My jewelers background "

I am always Amazed by this guy!
        My jewelers background hahahahahahahah hahahhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahah

[This message has been edited by LAMFDTK (edited 15 March 2000).]

Comment

Ok,Ok LAMF.....LOL

I worked my way through college as a jeweler. I worked for three different companies making Southwestern jewelry back in the 70's. Although I don't do it for a living anymore I still make some things for friends and those skills come in handy for other stuff like the cache spacers.
          Most of Greebes Eclipse Mods have silver cache spacers which I made for him

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

LOL !!

Comment

No, none of the spacers go on the reverse side of the pcb. All go between the cache chips and the heat sink.

From my experience, the commercial cache spacers don't fit well. They are made of a thick copper plate which has been sheared to the correct size. The problem with them is they are far from flat, actually curved, because of the shearing. This makes for poor thermal contact. The tape you need to attach the spacers to the cache chips only touches the cache chips in a couple of small spots. Also, the spacers are not the correct thickness and you need a lot of thermal paste to make contact with the heatsink. All this makes for a poor cooling solution.

The best method of cooling the cache chips is to custom make your own as described by ALBPM.

Comment

Yep, I've got some of those spacers in there.

------------------
                MSI-6167 w/ Athlon 500@750 (thx Greebe!), 128MB Crucial PC133, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Phillips CD-R, a hard drive or two, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH6.1, and Win98 (when I have to).

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                X