Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada severs ties with Iran, expels diplomats

Wow....

Canada has suspended diplomatic relations with Iran and is expelling Iranian diplomats from Canada, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird says in a statement.

Canada closes embassy in Iran, expels Iranian diplomats

Canada has suspended diplomatic relations with Iran and is expelling Iranian diplomats from Canada, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird announced in a statement today.

Speaking to reporters in Russia, where he's attending the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-Operation summit, Baird said the government is formally listing Iran today as a state sponsor of terrorism under the Justice for Victims of Terrorism Act.

That will theoretically allow Canadians affected by terrorism supported by the Iranian regime to sue.

Later in the day, Baird added Syria to the list of terror-sponsoring states.

“Canada is committed to fighting global terrorism and to holding perpetrators of terrorism — and those who provide them support — accountable for their actions,” Baird said following a news release that officially added Syria to the list.

“Building resilience against terrorism is a priority for our government, and respect for the rule of law prevails in a resilient society,” added Public Safety Minister Vic Toews.

Earlier Friday, Baird denounced Iran in the strongest possible terms.

"Iran is among the world's worst violators of human rights. It shelters and materially supports terrorist groups," Baird said in a news release announcing the formal terror listing, adding: "Unequivocally, we have no information about a military strike on Iran."

Baird said Canada has closed its embassy in Iran, effective immediately, and declared personae non gratae all remaining Iranian diplomats in Canada. Those diplomats must leave within five days. All Canadian diplomats have already left Iran.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Now Bachmann will _really_ push hard for the US to do the same.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      Wow....

Canada has suspended diplomatic relations with Iran and is expelling Iranian diplomats from Canada, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird says in a statement.

"Iran is among the world's worst violators of human rights. It shelters and materially supports terrorist groups," Baird said in a news release announcing the formal terror listing, adding: "Unequivocally, we have no information about a military strike on Iran."
      I wonder what we should call sheltering and materially supporting non-Syrian extremist Sunni fanatics fighting the secular regime in Syria by the regimes of Saudi-Arabia, Qatar and the west. I wonder how big the overlap is between these same armed fanatics and the ones the western forces face in Afghanistan. Replace non-Syrian by non-Libyan for the equivalent during the Libya revolt.

What's the latest on the result of the Arab springs in northern Africa? all sounds I've heard coming out of there are of less stability and a move towards values of a more (Sunni) extremist interpretation of Islam (less women rights, reduced division between mosque and state)...

P.S. I suppose the most likely reasons for expelling diplomats from Iran is either some Iranian agents getting caught doing 'something very bad' in Canada, or it's a further step in trying to isolate Iran (Canada has always had strong ties to the US in Iran, e.g. expatriating US workers after the embassy siege).
      Last edited by dZeus; 8 September 2012, 09:20.

Comment

I observe step by step marching towards war with Iran.

- inciting regime change
        - Stuxnet (this is actually an act of war)
        - Severe oil sanctions
        - Rhetorics on both sides
        - US navy presence and drills in Persian gulf
        - Amassing of weapons
        - Destabilization in Syria which could be potential Iranian ally.

I'm not sure what will this accomplish.

- Destabilizing Iran and casting into chaos like Iraq and Afghanistan might make it incapable of attacking Israel in next few decades
        - It might further incite Russia, China and possibly Pakistan towards conflict, though I don't see WW3 happening over Iran (might happen in the future if we continue on this trajectory). Also continuing World economic crisis will probably make some regimes change to more radical or seek war in order to stay in power. There is major power transition coming towards the end of the year.

I'm only wondering whether conflict will start before or after US elections.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 8 September 2012, 03:31.

Comment

Ah yes, they operate so much more subtle compared to the 70/80s....
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

You can also look at it economy wise. Each and every day, Iran earns over a hundred millions of dollars on oil without breaking a sweat. It's there, they pump it, sell it, make $$$.
            Now unlike some of their neighbors, they're not out there buying Mercedes, designer clothes, Jewelry and such (most of it produced by Europe) and thus helping the struggling western economy. Oh no, instead they're sending a lot of that money to militant groups, training and arming them and investing it in their own militant ends.
            So not only they are not helping the economy, they're actually putting an even larger dent in it.
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
              You can also look at it economy wise. Each and every day, Iran earns over a hundred millions of dollars on oil without breaking a sweat. It's there, they pump it, sell it, make $$$.
              Now unlike some of their neighbors, they're not out there buying Mercedes, designer clothes, Jewelry and such (most of it produced by Europe) and thus helping the struggling western economy. Oh no, instead they're sending a lot of that money to militant groups, training and arming them and investing it in their own militant ends.
              So not only they are not helping the economy, they're actually putting an even larger dent in it.
              and how different is that from Saudi Arabia, other than the $$$ figures for Saudi Arabia are much higher?

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                and how different is that from Saudi Arabia, other than the $$$ figures for Saudi Arabia are much higher?
                1. Saudi Arabia pretends to be an ally with the west.
                2. Saudi Arabia keeps low profile in the news about human rights etc.
                3. Saudi Arabia does not scream out in the media how they're going to erase other countries off the face of the earth.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Comment

Its the quiet ones that you should be aware of.
                  PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                  Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                  +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
                    Its the quiet ones that you should be aware of.
                    I know that all too well. But as I suppose we all know, we (the world) love our criminals as long as they pretend to play by our rules.

Comment

4. Saudi Arabia is Arabic/Bedouin, with Arabic as language: Iran is Indo-Persian with Farsi as language and a much older and evolved culture and higher level of education amongst the old ruling classes. No comparison and a great mistake if you try to make one.
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                      X