‘Unforgiven’ Being Remade as Samurai Film Starring Ken Watanabe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Unforgiven’ Being Remade as Samurai Film Starring Ken Watanabe

The relationship between the samurai film and the gun-slinging western is undeniably deep – stretching back as far as the ’50s – but typically that relationship focused heavily on American audiences being treated to western genre adaptations of popular Japanese samurai films. Most notable among those adaptations would be The Magnificent Seven, a retelling of Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai, only with prototypical cowboys replacing the titular katana-wielding protagonists.

Now, we have news of a similar remake situation occurring, only this time it’s headed in the opposite direction across the Pacific Ocean. Warner Bros. Japan has pegged Unforgiven, the 1992 Oscar-winning western starring Clint Eastwood, to be remade into a Japanese samurai film called Yurusarezaru mono.

I'm a big fan of Japanese film as well as Clint Eastwood. This has great potential.

That does sound sweet. Unforgiven is one of my favorite westerns.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I still remember how I went to watch it in cinema with some girl.

Right now I'm in samurai movies phase again so here are some brilliant suggestions (they are all very high quality)

Director Masaki Kobayashi

Harakiri (Seppuku)

An elder ronin samurai arrives at a feudal lord's home and requests an honorable place to commit suicide. But when the ronin inquires about a younger samurai who arrived before him things take an unexpected turn.

Brilliant movie which opens up with poor young samurai begging to commit suicide at lord's mansion. Since times are hard many do this in order to extract pittance money and be turned away but lord forces him on his honour go on with it. Latter an older samurai arrives with same request and things take a turn.

Very related to present day crisis time and raises many complex questions on what honour is, where poverty drives people, authority of institutions and conventions and should exceptions be made... Much to think about

Kwaidan

This film contains four distinct, separate stories. "Black Hair": A poor samurai who divorces his true love to marry for money, but finds the marriage disastrous and returns to his old wife, only to discover something eerie about her. "The Woman in the Snow": Stranded in a snowstorm, a woodcutter meets an icy spirit in the form of a woman spares his life on the condition that he never tell anyone about her. A decade later he forgets his promise. "Hoichi the Earless": Hoichi is a blind musician, living in a monastery who sings so well that a ghostly imperial court commands him to perform the epic ballad of their death battle for them. But the ghosts are draining away his life, and the monks set out to protect him by writing a holy mantra over his body to make him invisible to the ghosts. But they've forgotten something. "In a Cup of Tea": a writer tells the story of a man who keep seeing a mysterious face reflected in his cup of tea.

Samurai Rebellion

The mother of a feudal lord's only heir is kidnapped away from her husband by the lord. The husband and his samurai father must decide whether to accept the unjust decision, or risk death to get her back.

The ending scene of this movie is stunning

Director Kenji Mizoguchi

Ugetsu Mongotari (Tales of moon obscured by rainy clouds)

In the civil wars of 16th century Japan, two ambitious peasants want to make their fortunes. The potter Genjuro intends to sell his wares for vast profits in the local city, while his brother-in-law Tobei wishes to become a samurai. Sooner Genjurô and Tobei discover the price they have to pay for their ambition.

Great movie exploring the relations between man and woman, ambitions, questions one's source of happiness, one's place to be and satisfaction with it. Another stunning ending.

Director:
      Hiroshi Teshigahara

Woman in the Dunes

Not a samurai movie at all (no swords, no one gets killed) taking place in contemporary time (1964).

An amateur entomologist searching for insects by the sea is trapped by local villagers into living with a mysterious woman who lives in house at the bottom of deep sand pit and spends most of her time shovelling sand preventing her home from being engulfed. After staying the night in her house in very remote village, when the last bus for the city has left, he awakes next morning and realizes the rope ladder is gone and that he is trapped.

Brilliant, some erotic scenes and nudity. Makes you ponder: is it pointless to work a job or to shovel sand every night.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 6 September 2012, 07:13.

Comment

Unforgiven?

One of my favorite films ever?!?

Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I think that by the time that movie comes out. I'll view Unforgiven for the third time.

Oh, and laugh at an old guiy talking to a chair of course. Eastwood is funny but unsuited for comedy.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Actually, it would make a GREAT Samurai film... very close to what "The Last Samurai" could have been, but wasn't.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Yesterday I watched Villain by the director who will direct this.

It's very good, acting is good and all characters are alive.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                ... all characters are alive.
                I would hope so. 2 hours of watch dead bodies lying around would be no fun at all.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Roflmao!
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                  X