$1B for a rectangle with rounded corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1B for a rectangle with rounded corners

A federal jury in California on Friday recommended that Apple be awarded more than $1 billion in damages after finding Samsung was guilty of “willful” violations of a number of Apple’s patents in the creation of its own mobile products.

A federal jury in California on Friday recommended that Apple be awarded more than $1 billion in damages after finding Samsung was guilty of "willful" violations of a number of Apple's patents in the creation of its own mobile products.
    We own an ipod nano, ipod touch, iphone, and ipad. But never apple again.
    I'm sick of this crap.

PS it doesn't help that itunes sux big green donkey dicks.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Silver lining?
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

If it gets apple to STFU fine. But doubt it.

I've compared this to apple wining patents on "four wheels on a car"

e.g. http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/15/32...patent-invalid
      Last edited by cjolley; 25 August 2012, 01:15.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Now Paramount Studios needs to sue Apple.
        Gene Roddenberry had these ideas on TV decades ago. Apple obviously ripped him off.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Doubt Roddenberry actualy filed for patents so they won't be able to sue. Unless they could make it stick as an infringement of copyright one way or the other.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Makes you wish Tesla was here to sue them all for using radio frequencies

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
              Doubt Roddenberry actualy filed for patents so they won't be able to sue. Unless they could make it stick as an infringement of copyright one way or the other.
              If it were demonstrated as a working system on TV it still classes as prior art and, if no patent application had been previously filed, it automatically falls into the public domain.
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                If it were demonstrated as a working system on TV it still classes as prior art and, if no patent application had been previously filed, it automatically falls into the public domain.
                Sure and therefore there would be no grounds to sue Apple. It would, however, be a defense AIW Apple sued anyone else.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

complete farce.

The jury appears to have awarded damages for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE infringing — $219,694 worth — but didn't find that it had actually infringed anything....A similar inconsistency exists for the Intercept, for which they'd awarded Apple over $2 million

Intercept: "The jury found no direct infringement but did find inducement" for the '915 and '163 utility patents. If a device didn't infringe, it would be rather hard for a company to induce said non-existant infringement.
                  Even better in the high-ridiculous-list:

How did the Galaxy Tab escape design patent infringement? This was the only device to be preliminarily enjoined (on appeal no less), and yet it was the one of the few devices to be spared the sledgehammer. And, by the way, it looks an awful lot like an iPad. Yet the Epic 4G, a phone I own (uh oh, Apple’s coming after me) — which has a slide out keyboard, a curved top and bottom, 4 buttons on the bottom, the word Samsung printed across the top, buttons in different places (and I know this because I look in all the wrong places on my wife’s iTouch), a differently shaped speaker, a differently placed camera, etc. — that device infringes the iPhone design patents....

Lots of those stuff described by Groklaw, very interesting to read

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...12082510525390
                  "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

I somehow can understand the patent on e.g. the "bounce at the end of the scroll list", and even the "2-finger zoom movement", as they concern control features that can be done in a different way... (not sure who should have the patent, and if Apple was first, but the concepts of these two things IMO are worthy of a patent)

But the patent on the shape is just ridiculous. I have a Fujitsu-Siemens P1510, and folded it almost exactly has the shape and size of the iPad, but it predates it:

Of course, we should not really be pointing the finger at Apple, but at the patent itself. If you posses a patent like that, why not cash in on it? The main issue is that they have a patent that is not worthy of a patent...
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Apple's lawsuit backfires in a funny way:

https://plus.google.comToo funny/u/0/114476892281222708332/posts/246srfbqg6G

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
                        Apple's lawsuit backfires in a funny way:

https://plus.google.comToo funny/u/0/114476892281222708332/posts/246srfbqg6G
                        Guess you meant that link https://plus.google.com/u/0/11447689...ts/246srfbqg6G
                        "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

oops!

Comment

I get a warm fuzzy feeling because Apple is trying to ban the very products I do own and do recommend.

This is either going to completely screw the patent system way beyond the ridiculous state currently or prompt a massive change.
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Ah who cares!

I hate Samsung with a passion. They are nothing but a company that produces copies and with no support what so ever.
                              Same goes for LG and HTC, they are in the same league.

Comment

Working...
                              X