Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone interested in my renovation update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested in my renovation update?

Long story short: still not finished...

Kitchen was installed, but the wrong top was put. The carpenter also was not happy with the lacquer, so he decided to take it all apart and have it redone. This caused a 2 week delay (but I was on holiday), but now the kitchen is finished. Some minor details, but nothing too bad.

In the bathroom, the showercabine has been refitted (it was not properly installed), and the bathroom furniture is nearly finished. Only thing missing is the blat for the washbassin. Which of course was the wrong one. They hung a cabinet far too high, due to which I have now two visible holes in my tiles. Plan is to have the tiles replaced.

The electrical company has not yet installed my new meter, as they forgot to send me the contract. There is more delay, as the electrician who will do it has not submitted some forms yet.
    My own electrician has to return also, as I have no electricity in two sockets in the kitchen. Most likely it is a minor problem...
    The shower tap is not working smoothly, but it should be replaced under warranty (on site warranty). I'll call them when I live there.

Plan is to move once the bathroom furniture is finished (all my stuff has been put back). The carpenter is on holiday, and in September I have a family visit, but after that I expect to finally move in.

After I move in, I will have the domotica system reprogrammed to include the airconditioning and to properly define all the switches. And that should be the end of it.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Reno's are always fun once done, but a pain in the butt while in the process. We were lucky when we moved in; the bathroom had a big Jacizzi tub, 6 foot dual vanity & mirror etc., a laundry with 16 feet of cabinets, the kitchen had the works new, and it had a new 93% efficient gas furnace & AC. Not much to do but move in and put up a couple of walls in the basement.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 August 2012, 13:05.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
      ... And that should be the end of it.
      I LOLed at that.

We want pictures.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I will upload pictures of the finished rooms, when they are finished. At least now I reached the point that I started moving stuff back to the apartment.
        I've been sleeping at my girlfriend's parents for nearly 4 months now - my girlfriend is in Australia, but will return in 2 weeks. Her parents have been so helpful...
        pixar

Comment

I am always interested but, by now, hardly surprised...
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
            I am always interested but, by now, hardly surprised...
            Ditto!
            FT.

Comment

Ok, today most things should be fixed: tiles replaced, other minor wall damages, plinths, ...
              In the morning, I went to chose which part of the stone I wanted for the blat in the bathroom, and it will be cut today. The carpenter returns from holiday, and should be able to finish his work on Monday. The electrician provided the necessary papers for having the meter replaced (to get 3-phase power).

On Saturday we'll move my table and we'll put together some furniture.

Just my electrician (who I need as I don't have power on 2 sockets: dishwasher and cooker hood) is not answering his phone...
              edit: he just replied and would come tomorrow or Friday...

Oh, and the sofa I bought needs to be replaced, and new delivery is scheduled for September...
              Last edited by VJ; 22 August 2012, 02:27.
              pixar

Comment

I spoke too soon...
                Many things were fixed... but ... a wall in the kitchen is not straight, which causes problems for a kitchen cabinet. The sink is showing weird spots, which may be... oxidation... on an inox sink.. we will call the service...
                There are problems with the outside wal in the whole building, and it is scheduled for renovation next year. Today, some damages were fixed, which caused a lot of dirt on the windows.
                pixar

Comment

How long do you plan on living there?

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                    How long do you plan on living there?
                    I have not planned that... As long as I have work here and like it here perhaps...?

But even after that, I might be tempted to keep it as a second residence: I really love the city, and am (for now) convinced I'll have some connection with it.

The sink problem is solved: service told us that the spots appear as a reaction between some protective coating (for transport) and water rich in calc. It should wash off with regular use.
                    (dishwasher liquid, vinager will speed it up)
                    pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post

The sink problem is solved: service told us that the spots appear as a reaction between some protective coating (for transport) and water rich in calc. It should wash off with regular use.
                      (dishwasher liquid, vinager will speed it up)
                      So they told you it will disappear shortly after the warranty expires.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well, the also listed some products to remove it, and it worked flawlessly. The spots have gone.

The electrician came, and now there is power on all cables that were missing it. Within a week, the electrical company will exchange my meter for a 3-phase one (needed for the induction plate).

Just the company that is making the countertop for the bathroom has not called yet... it makes is slightly worried, as it was scheduled to be made yesterday...
                        pixar

Comment

The washbasin countertop is there and fits nicely. Carpenter will come this week to fit the last things, and that will be it!
                          pixar

Comment

Carpenter today (last day - fingers crossed), electrician (to install new meter) today, plumber tomorrow (refit the pipes to the washing machine), and that should be it...

I still have to install some sockets and get the frames for the sockets. The knx system needs to be reprogrammed, but this is mainly an optimization... and that is it... really it...
                            pixar

Comment

I get to swap out a dishwasher. Yay!

Comment

Working...
                              X