Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got Windows 2000. A few coments and questions, to anyone who can help me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got Windows 2000. A few coments and questions, to anyone who can help me.

Stable, Stable, Stable. Can I say stable? This must be the best investment I did in my computer a long time ago. Damn, the thing is simply light-years ahead of Win9x.

Instalation went smootly, it didn´t install the ACPI kernel, althougt ACPI is enabled in the bios. (why?) It´s dual booting with win98, no problem with that.

I´m using 5.03 drivers.

Sorry if this was covered, but I couldn´t find any reference to that in the seach. How to disable V-synch? I tried Powerstrip 2.64 (that suposedly suports win2k) and it was a no-go.

The only problem I got was 3dmark2k exiting to the desktop, but I see that is a common problem. 3dmark99 doesn´t work also (another known problem I guess).

System Shock doesn´t work also. I´ve got the idea it would work fine. Yes I forced the instalation, but when I try to run the game, it exits to the desktop.

I´ve got around 64 fps in q2 demo1 at 640x480 (athlon 600). Is this good or bad?

Oh and if anyone could please help me (but I think it is a lost case) I can´t get my scanner to work. It´s an old scsi scanner, a leoscan s3. It uses a DTC scsi isa board. I´ve managed to get winNT drivers, but I can´t install them. Any ideas how to generally hack NT drivers to work in win2k?

ACIPI=You may have to get a bios update. If you already have the latest bios then when you install NT5 hit the F5 key at the beginning of the NT5 installtion when it asks you to hit F6. If this doesn't work then your just gonna have to wait for your mobo manufacturer to release an updated bios.

Scanner=You may have to plug that scanner into another SCSI card and see if that works. Also check this website www.ntcompatible.com and post your questions there.

------------------
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Manufacturers have been dog ass slow to get drivers out for such devices as scsi scanners, printers and whatnot. I have an Epson Expression 636 here at work that has been waiting for drivers for I don't know how long. Best bet would to to contact the people who made the scanner to find out if they intend to support Windows 2000, you'd be suprised at how many won't be bothering with older products at all.
      PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

hmm, I see. The point is that Leo was a subsidiary from FIC and it has gone... bankrupcy or something like that. I´ve got the NT drivers from windrivers.com
        So can you guys recommend a good/not very expensive scanner with win2k support? I was thinking of an HP scanner but their win2k driver support also sucks. That doesn´t make sense - win2k is for business, right? So why no scanner drivers?

I´ve got another issue with V-sych. I´ve tried ps 2.64, 2.65 and the registry hack that was posted some weeks ago in Ant´s news. Nothing works.

Comment

I honestly don't know of one. Seems the only drivers I see being released are for USB based scanners, no scsi.
          PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

Hi there!

Try to have a look at Adaptec's homepage! They have Win2000 drivers ready for a great deal of their cards (or will have VERY shortly). I'm sure you can get drivers for one of their cheap 29xx or 15xx cards. I'm sure this will get your scanner going.

About Win2000 being for business - Yes! But then remember that "Business's" often the most buy the high end stuff, also scanners. Therefore, Win2000 scanner support on the most highend scanners!

------------------
            ASUS P2B-S, PII-350 (o/c to 412MHz), 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1 GB, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB 64AWE, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

Nuno, A while back I pointed out in the Matrox HW forum that the vsync disable switch is either broken or just not implemented in the current W2K drivers. But a couple people said it definitely works, so I left it in/enabled.

As far as I can tell, and you've seen, it definitely does not work.

Same situation holds for NVidia's drivers.

Comment

Thanks guys! Let´s wait for new w2k drivers, then...

Comment

Working...
                X