The Retina "myth"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Retina "myth"

excellent article about "Retina" displays, what it means according to Apple and what it means in real life

That's right even the lowly 1366x768 resolution is "Retina" at more than 22". The only device in this list that doesn't make the cut is the iPad 2. It's one of the main reasons that iPad users rave about retina display. They're among the few that are actually benefiting from the increased resolution, which says more about how sub-standard the old display was than how great the new display is.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/10/32...-than-the-ipad
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

I saw that, I just think it's a small part of the "apple myth".
    Just like that myth saying Apple's OS and software are better and more stable than anything else while "forgetting" to mention everyone else is running on a myriad of hardware configurations, from the cpu and memory to all kinds of peripherals, while Apple have full control of everything. And even then, they crash and burn like the rest.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Great read.

On the article topic, I have three hopes for the Surface RT/PRO.

1. Microsoft doesn't price it too high. The main problem with Windows tablets hasn't been features or quality, Windows 7 works great on an x86 tablet, it's been price. If the Windows RT tablet isn't at or below the iPad prices I don't think it will be well received.

2. It doesn't become an after thought. The only Microsoft hardware that has survived the test of time are mice and keyboards.

3. It's stable. That speaks for itself. A redux of Vista will do major harm to the brand image, and I think it will cause a lot of upper management to go find new employment.

I'm starting to get used to the don't-call-it-Metro UI and it's nice. Most of the apps I use are desktop apps so I haven't gotten into the full swing of things yet, but that will come with time. It helps to think of the don't-call-it-Metro UI as a really, really, really big start button.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Interesting! I fully understand the author: I have a low resolution Android phone (3.2", 320 by 480, 180 ppi), and at no point am I bothered by the resolution. In some fonts you may distinguish pixels, but in general that does not matter.
        That being said, I just got myself a new iPad, but have to unpack it still. A bit curious about the resolution.

One thought though: how does anti-aliassing fit in the whole picture? I mean, would a higher resolution manage to pull of a smoother looking font when considering both displays at an equal distance at which the pixels of both are indistinguishable? It would for sure benefit dithering (but I guess that is not much used anymore).
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
        X