laptop screens getting smaller AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop screens getting smaller AGAIN

Following on from my comments in this thread: http://www.forums.murc.ws/showthread...683#post688683

I am in the market for several laptops for work, from 13" to 17". I usually use Dell due to price (good), reliability and support (both not really worse than any other).

But, their latest models of business laptops (Vostros in particular) are now shipping with 720p displays!!! My options are order an older model to get 768 or step up to 1920*1080 in another line.

Why on earth is the industry doing this? To save a few pennies? Maybe I could understand it for consumer laptops looking at 720p hd video, but this is their business range.

My days with Dell could be numbered.
    FT.

I recently got a laptop. My first. To work with. Hate it but not as much as I had thought. Found me a 1920x1080 in a 15.6" package (or 16", not entirely sure). Was hard to find one and 19x12 is nowhere to be found at decent prices. I am waiting for TVs to get to 22:9 and laptops to follow. Also waiting for humans to evolve four parrallel processing eyes. ****ing stupid screen shit.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

We ordered two new 21" desktop monitors for our office from HP business/government and they were 720p! It's like going back to 800x600 from 15 years ago. It never occurred to us to look at that, 21" business monitors are always 1280x1024. So I thought anyway
      One we had to use because it was replacing a broken one, but I'm thinking about sending the other one back.
      This is getting ridiculous.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Who on earth would even want 720 lines at 21"? I have to think they are saving a few pennies and pulling the wool over the eyes of naive buyers (present company excepted of course!).

I had to buy 3 15.6" laptops with 1920*1080 displays. Another madenning thing is my guy at Dell didn't understand the problem with just setting the resolution lower on the desktop!
        FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
          I have to think they are saving a few pennies and pulling the wool over the eyes of naive buyers (present company excepted of course!).
          Oh I admit being naive about this.
          720 is not even good enough for portrate mode.
          I think they should just swing for the fence and send out monitors that are 21" wide and 1" tall. Those would really be cheap
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
            Following on from my comments in this thread: http://www.forums.murc.ws/showthread...683#post688683

I am in the market for several laptops for work, from 13" to 17". I usually use Dell due to price (good), reliability and support (both not really worse than any other).

But, their latest models of business laptops (Vostros in particular) are now shipping with 720p displays!!! My options are order an older model to get 768 or step up to 1920*1080 in another line.

Why on earth is the industry doing this? To save a few pennies? Maybe I could understand it for consumer laptops looking at 720p hd video, but this is their business range.

My days with Dell could be numbered.
            It's for your own benefit! Panel manufacturers are anticipating the degrading eyesight of the baby boomers among you

But seriously.. this sucks!

Comment

This is why I cling to my SXGA+ Thinkpads.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                It's for your own benefit! Panel manufacturers are anticipating the degrading eyesight of the baby boomers among you

But seriously.. this sucks!
                This actually makes it worse for those of us of a certain age. Being forced in to the hi-res panel means I'll probably have to put the system font size up, and we all know not everything plays ball with that. Heck, even my XPS 17 had the font set to 125% on delivery!
                FT.

Comment

Weird that they go to 720p displays on laptops: Windows requires at least a 768 vertical resolution to work properly. My laptop has 1024x600 resolution, which is low but workable (8,9" screen). To me, the main benefit of a larger resolution is usable screen area: icons and borders get smaller, leaving more room for usable space.
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                  X