Physics 101 (free fall impact)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physics 101 (free fall impact)

I know I've asked it before and I remember I did not feel satisfied with the answer, so here I go again, but this time I hope I am clearer, just to be sure I understood things well:

I am basing my assumptions on: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/im...ce-d_1780.html

1 kg = 9.8 Newton

Free fall: F = m g h / s
    m: Mass
    g: Gravity = 9.81 m/s²
    h: Height
    s: stopping distance

So dropping a 2kg brick from 2 meters high onto a concrete floor (assuming a stopping distance of 1mm):
    F = 2 * 9.81 * 2 / 0.01 = 3924kN

3924kN / 9.8 (Newton per kg) = 400kg (weight as moment of impact)
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Keep in mind that the stopping distance would be less than that and the resulting force higher against a concrete floor. And since the brick will be crushed a bit or broken the whole calculation will come unglued. Better to use a steel ball and metal floor as an example.

Though, my memory of that calculation used the amount of time the the impact lasted, not distance, but I guess either could be used. It's really just a way of calculating the force it takes to decelerate the brick in a given distance (or time).

It's the short stopping distance (or time) that makes the force so high.
    think of the difference between driving in a nail or trying to push the nail in with the hammer head.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
    X