Doing some upgrades to my Nas ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing some upgrades to my Nas ;)

So, i've been itching to upgrade my Nas for a while now, and finally bit the bullet.

Old : Athlon x2 2600MHz 65W
    Jetway 785G Motherboard + iGPU (40 shaders/8 pipelines equivalent) (4xSata + 2xIDE) Raid 0/1/10
    2x2Gb DDR2-800
    2.5" IDE 160Gb HDD (laptop HDD)
    External 19V-120W Power brick, Internal DC-DC converter.

New : i3-2120 3.3GHz 2C/4T
    Asus P8H77-i Motherboard (6 x Sata ) Raid 0/1/5/10...
    2x4Gb DDR3-1600
    64Gb 2.5" Crucial M4 SSD
    FSP 270W FlexATX psu (To be mounted internally)
    VTX3D 7750 1Gb GDDR5 LP (ordered) (512 shaders/128 pipelines equiv.)

Just waiting for the 7750 to arrive to build the system.
    From what I can see the psu should fit in the space behind the HDD cages, with the old DC-DC board removed. I might have to relocate the fans to the outside of the rear of the case, but thats only if the psu is too big.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Also got a USB to SCSI cable for my external Magneto-Optical drives.
    Thankfully I seem to have got one of the last ones, afaik, the chips they use are no longer in production.

edit : Will have piccies when I get to building it. Just waiting on that GPU.
    Last edited by Evildead666; 29 July 2012, 10:45.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

a while ago I also upgraded my NAS from a Linksys NSLU2 @ 266 Mhz and 32MB RAM to a QNAP with Marvell Kirkwood @ 1.2 GHz, 512MB RAM and Gigabit LAN, running Debian Wheezy. Uses less than 15 Watts with 2 x 500GB notebook drives connected.

I'm just wondering: what do you run on your NAS that requires so much horsepower?
      Last edited by dZeus; 30 July 2012, 12:50. Reason: spelling mistakes and stuff

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
        I'm just wondering: what do you run on your NAS that requires so much horepower?
        It's spelled whorepower.
        And large video files would be my guess
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I use an HP ProLiant N40L micro server with an Athlon Turion II Neo 40L CPU (1.5GHz dual-core x86 chip), 4GB RAM and WHS 2011. I haven't measured what total system power consumption is, but the CPU has a max TDP of 15W so I doubt it uses more than 25W under max load.

Using Serviio and an updated ffmpeg.exe (better GPU acceleration support) I can transcode 720p video in real time to my DirecTV Media Share (which is picky about the codecs used), which allows my kids to stream their entire movie collection on demand. And it backs up all my stuff.

I thought about building a box but I got the micro server with a 2TB drive for $280, which is cheaper than any of the good 4-bay NAS devices from the usual suspects or what I could build myself. And I can load any operating system or combination of applications on it I chose instead of whatever preloaded stuff someone else chooses.

When Hyper-V Server 2012 comes out I think I'll load that on a USB drive and do some virtualization.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
            It's spelled whorepower.
            And large video files would be my guess
            LOL.

I use it also as my everyday PC as well, for watching movies and music and web.
            Just wanted to get a Motherboard capable of RAID 5 should I want to go down that route later on, and it had to have the 6 internal sata slots for all the drives.

I also wanted to build the most powerful system I could in the Chenbro Nas case.
            Just to prove it could be done. And I won't be making any upgrades to the Nas ever again, except for HDD's when the larger drives come down in price.
            I can install any OS on it I like, and it will fly.

Comment

SO, an update is on order.

The PC went together sort of OK. It works at least
              I have a 6670-LP in atm, since the 7750-LP is taking its sweet time.

I can still game at 1680x1050 with everything at high
              Skyrim, no problems with full view distance and all the options on except AntiAliasing. ~40 fps
              Call Of Pripyat also works with the view distance at full, and with the Complete Mod : Advanced installed. also ~40 fps
              Haven't installed anything else yet, but i'm happily surprised at just how powerful this combination is.

I'll post a picture of whthe rig looks like now, and you might just notice what went wrong.

Comment

The beast lol, see the problem ?

Heres a few screencaps from Call of Pripyat at 50% size. The FPS is low due to taking the screencap, F12 doing two simultaneous screencaps, one in jpg with Stalker Game, and one with Fraps in BMP. I hadn't realised that Stalker had a screencap function built in, and managed to choose the same key for Fraps screencap.
                I'm usually in the high 30's outside, and well over inside.

I'll take a couple more screencaps later, disabling the screencap in fraps.

Comment

Working...
                X