Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi

Anyone played with a Raspberry Pi, or other hobbyist board? My son is getting to the age where I want to start teaching him serious computer skills. I have some old hardware with Windows that the kids use as the family computer.

With the advent of cheap hobby computer boards I think it's time to give them their own hardware to tinker with. Even if that means using Linux *shudders*. If they break it I'm out $40 (board+ shipping). No big loss.

Just looking around at my options and what's the best for the money. So far I think the Raspberry Pi is the front runner. $25/$35 for a board is pretty damn inexpensive.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Depends what kids want to do. When I was a kid I used to write programs in Spectrum basic. Maybe your kids would just like to play games their peers play on Android/Apple tablets.

Or is it you who actually wants to play with Raspberry Pi?

Comment

You're no dad yet, are you UtwigMU? That was just a mean low blow.

I suspect you're right though
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Well of course I want one for me too That's not the question.

Comment

Something for kids to start with:
          Scratch is a free programming language and online community where you can create your own interactive stories, games, and animations.
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
            You're no dad yet, are you UtwigMU? That was just a mean low blow.

I suspect you're right though

Now but I remember how I was playing with Legos with my girlfriend and her little sister once. And how I used up almost all the Legos for my big awesome spaceship.

Comment

I bought a Pi - had to wait nearly 6 weeks for it. It arrived yesterday. Havent installed an OS for it yet - Just made a lego case

I hope to use it on my boat as a A/D engine and weather station telemitary station....

My Kids didnt seem that interested in it TBH.
              Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Nice little, informative article on it.

First, let me go on the record as saying I'm a huge Raspberry Pi fan. If you ...
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                  Nice little, informative article on it.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Top10R...AndTruths.aspx
                  Thanks for the share. I like that case. It would be a better use of the kids LEGOs. Currently they are mostly used as caltrops.

Maybe Hanselman can get a WinPi made once the hardware is a bit more powerful. Hanselman is a pretty big deal. If anyone can push it through he would one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                    Thanks for the share. I like that case. It would be a better use of the kids LEGOs. Currently they are mostly used as caltrops.

Maybe Hanselman can get a WinPi made once the hardware is a bit more powerful. Hanselman is a pretty big deal. If anyone can push it through he would one of them.
                    There are three levels of pain:
                    • pain
                    • excruciating pain
                    • stepping on lego
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
                    X