Happy Birthday Telstar-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Telstar-1

Bell Labs, the research arm of Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) will celebrate one of its great historical achievements with the 50th anniversary of the launch of Telstar I, the world's first active communications satellite. The launch on July 10, 1962, in partnership with NASA, ushered in the era of modern communications including real-time global telephone service, data communications and TV broadcasting.

Fifty years later, Bell Labs researchers continue to create breakthrough innovations that help to define a world where communication between people and now between machines is vastly more efficient, secure and simple. Bell Labs' experts also continue to answer big, fundamental questions and make predictions in areas such as quantum computing, optical networks, cloud computing, wireless and sensory networking.

Jeong Kim, President of Bell Labs said: "With Telstar and its successors, the world was made a smaller place, as billions of people around the world had instant access to news, sports and entertainment. The phrase 'live via satellite' became part of the common vernacular. At the time, few people would have believed that 50 years later you could actually talk to your house or car, or predicted that children would play video games with other children 10,000 miles away."

"Today, as we celebrate the enormous achievement that Telstar represented, Bell Labs researchers are laying the foundation for communications and collaboration for the next 50 years," Kim added.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Some celebratory music is appropriate.

Comment

The Tornadoes guitarist is the father of Muse's front man. This song was their inspiration for The Knights of Cydonia.

Watch the music video for "Knights Of Cydonia" now!WILL OF THE PEOPLE - The new album released 26th August 2022 Pre-order here: https://mu-se.co/WOTP-AlbumPO...

Don't you love how topics go completely off track so fast?
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

And of course Muse's Uprising was the theme used for SpaceX's reusable Falcon 9 / Dragon propulsive landing video, so it comes full circle to space again

An animation of a launch of SpaceX Falcon 9 with Dragon showing powered vertical return of both stages and the DragonCredits: SpaceX www.spacex.com/assets/vi...
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

For the longest time I thought the Tornados were a California surfing band, rather than an advance scout for the British invasion!

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
            I've still got that 45 but not in the fancy cover..
            paulw

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
              There went an hour at work lost in a youtube free-association fest of early 60's rock.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
              X